Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

I bought the my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago - I have only put 1,500 miles on it this winter but ride it some almost every day around town & have been on a few 100 mile rides - My problem is my lower back - it's killing me - I never had this problem before - it started about the same time I got the Ultra - I'm wondering if the setting position is the problem? On the Ultra all my weight is on the small of my back, with my legs going forward - With my BMW my legs are under me handling some of the weight? anyone else had this issue? I know if i hit a pot hole I really feel a sharp pain in my lower back - problem is now the pain just won't go away - What you think?- tom

Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The different riding position will mean your body will need to adjust but that does not sound right to me, how tall are you and what do you weigh?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is all the more reason a person switching brands should rent and ride before buying. Hope you get it worked out!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 3,086 Posts

You may have a point, but try a backrest kit first.

I never use my backrest on my daily 80 mile commute, but I always carry it on all day rides. It does significantly change the load on different parts of my lower back and legs when I do use it. And relief of lower back strain is why and when I throw it on during those longer rides.

Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

Try it for a while and maybe consider a riders backrest.

I'm 36 and I install mine for longer trips. (+500 miles.)

Shocks may need a preload adjustment too. Or a swap. But give it some time.

Best of luck.

H

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Before throwing in the towel buy a good quality seat and, make sure your air shocks are inflated properly. IMHO, a good seat is everything on these touring bikes.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have back problems but recently installed 12" PYO Monkey bars. Road 700 miles over the weekend on my Street Glide and back did not hurt at all.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I do is put my feet on the back pegs. It takes the pressure off my back and is the closes thing to the BMW riding position.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 251 Posts

I've owned 5 BMWs, 3 Boxers and 2 flying bricks. The Euro riding position is definetly different than a cruiser position as you know. I also would suggest trying different bar and seat combos to get in the position closer to what you are accustomed too. I really liked my 2007 K12GT but I prefer Harleys.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
You may have a point, but try a backrest kit first.

I never use my backrest on my daily 80 mile commute, but I always carry it on all day rides. It does significantly change the load on different parts of my lower back and legs when I do use it. And relief of lower back strain is why and when I throw it on during those longer rides.

Good Luck!
I've had back surgery, and the back rest was the answer for me. But I also had to go back to Corbin for a good firm seat. Definitely try the back rest solution before you do anything radical. You should be able to find a dealer in that area where you can try different seats on your bike to see what might help too, that's always an option. I also had to change handlebars, so there's a myriad of issues that relate to that lower back problem. Hope you get it worked out.

Quick Reply: I might have screwed up selling my BMW?