Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I added SE255 cams and autotune to my already installed PC-V Stage 1 and it was one of the best upgrades I have done.

The cams made the bike much more fun to ride especially two-up. The 255 cams do just what I wanted them to do, power where I use it most, cruising.

I have had drag race boats and drag racing cars most of my adult life, but I am NOT a really agressive driver on the street, especially on the bike.

I love power and speed as much as anybody, but you have to learn to control the urge and only use the power and speed in the proper enviroment.

Ride Safe!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by livindadream
So I been thinking bout added some cams to my road glide custom but I'm thinking I might be getting myself in some trouble.
You seem to be happy with the bike's performance now, so why mess with it? I was too when I had the Stage 1 setup, but thought I would be happier with a bit more. I made a very inexpensive cam upgrade, picked the cams I thought would give me the performance improvement I wanted where I wanted it, and I got exactly what I had hoped for. The upgrade doesn't make me ride faster or less safe, and I feel safer because I have more power on tap to pass a truck or merge onto an interstate. YMMV, of course.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I was in the same boat. Thankfully (in some ways) my cam chest on my 88" starting making some noise. I figured while the mechanic is in replacing the troublesome shoes I might as well go for a slight upgrade.

I liked the performance at stock and couldn't complain about it. Though having the extra power will be nice just in the off chance I need.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
livindadream
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point of views guys, and to iclick point of view you are right I am happy with the power my bike has, it seems people are always saying you don't have to down shift as often with cams, but I like bangin through the gears and with my 103 with my bassani road rage 2/1 se air cleaner and the power vision I have no problem passing trucks or any cars on these crazy highways in California. It's just I read all these threads about how you need cams to keep up with the pack and how much better your bike will be with them it's hard to ignore that. Maybe it is the manhood thing happening in my head. I love wrenching on my bike and I love the power I just know I will use it like theirs no tomorrow I only got 2500 miles on my road glide custom so maybe I'll just put some more miles on and go from their. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
loudogg559
2nd Gear

I have a 2011 street glide w/103 just got a 2 into 1 thunder header, zippers a/c , sert, but i want more umph out of my ride so im thinking cams maybe s & s 551's maybe tw-777's maybe andrews 55's it never ends aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh. I need some help for this combo PLEASE.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to be happy with the stock power then I got a little taste of how much better they run with a little more power LOL. I just put 254's in my 2011 RGU and I gotta say they increased giddy up is not only fun but is a safety measure too boot. No difference in mechanical noise and an increase in power from idle to redline and it makes banging thru the gears even more fun as it revs to redline much quicker in each gear lol. mpg stayed the same.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You seem to have the need for speed. This is fairly normal. I have been around drag racing cars for over 40 years. As long as I was just going to the races and working on cars, I still drove pretty aggressive on the street with GTO, Mustangs, etc. I decided to start driving a drag car and built one. Most fun I ever had and was very rewarding. Guess what the side benefit was. I didn't feel the need to drive aggressively on the street anymore. It is a lot safer to let it rip on the strip. At least if something happens there you will have on protective gear and not have to worry about the impact with another vehicle that weighs 4 to 50 times more than you do. As a bonus no cops and radar to deal with. The thrill from competition is a huge rush. Leave it stock if you like or cam it up if you like, but have fun and survive.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Rationalization

Without getting into a lengthy justification -- just do it for the betterment of the engine. It will run cooler, smoother, and be happier -- engines have feelings too!
Forget about self -- do it for the right reasons; you want a happy long life engine? Put the proper cam for your riding style and complementing the rest of the drive train and your engine will provide you lotsa trouble free saddle time....

(OK a little rationalization won't hurt anyone) --

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 AM
WindDamage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blusmbl
I probably wouldn't do mine again. It's definitely quicker and made a noticeable improvement, but it wasn't "oh my god this bike is a beast". I suppose I should've had realistic expectations. I came off an 02 Suzuki Hayabusa, and still have a CRF450X dirtbike.

The other bummer is with a full face helmet it got too loud. Between pulling the cat headpipe off and the cam swap, with a full face it is too loud to enjoy now. With a half helmet it's okay, but that's not how I like to protect myself with the horrible Michigan drivers.
Easy Fix,,Supertrapp Fatshots!!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_oh
Yeah...I know what you mean.....having fun really suxx..... leave it stock!
Hahaha...I agree, cams would be too fun...leave it stock.

Quick Reply: Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not