Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
livindadream
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not

So I been thinking bout added some cams to my road glide custom but I'm thinking I might be getting myself in some trouble. Point is, when I'm driving my car or truck I drive mostly the speed of traffic and never in a hurry. But when I'm on my bike I'm always getting on it, pushing its limits. Since I added the bassani road rage, se a/c and power vision I've gotten worse. I really want some cams but I'm thinking I might abuse the increase in power. I wish I could just slow down and enjoy the ride, I know a harley road glide is not a racer but don't tell my throttle hand that. Any of you guys have this problem? And if so whats the cure?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Azsg2011
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. It's the "man" disease. Anything with a motor always needs more power. The need for speed is always there. If you don't do it you will go crazy thinking about it. You only live once and it's a short time so just do it.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by livindadream
So I been thinking bout added some cams to my road glide custom but I'm thinking I might be getting myself in some trouble. Point is, when I'm driving my car or truck I drive mostly the speed of traffic and never in a hurry. But when I'm on my bike I'm always getting on it, pushing its limits. Since I added the bassani road rage, se a/c and power vision I've gotten worse. I really want some cams but I'm thinking I might abuse the increase in power. I wish I could just slow down and enjoy the ride, I know a harley road glide is not a racer but don't tell my throttle hand that. Any of you guys have this problem? And if so whats the cure?
Age! My Limited is the first vehicle in my life that has not seen its top speed. I'm 58 now and 100mph on a Harley is fast enough.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Riding with a passenger is the only cure that doesn't involve an injury (usually).

I'm the same way. If I had a sport bike, the front wheel would never be on the ground or I'd have an extended wheelbase.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing to think about for the future. If/when you go to sell it, you may have trouble because of the engine work. Personally my FLHTK has plenty of power and I have no intention of "going inside" it. Pipes, intake etc, but not inside and I wouldn't buy a used bike that someone had. Never know what kind of work was really done, or their skill level. But do what you want to your bike for yourself, but be aware of possible consequences.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it, I have the same problem about always being in the throttle but I went ahead and installed the Andrew's 37G and I dont go any faster top speed but I sure do get there alot quicker.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm never in a hurry either but I'm glad I did cams in my bike over the winter. I'd do it again in a heartbeat because it makes the bike so much more friendly like my Wing to ride. It takes off easier from a stop, gets on the onramps and up to freeway speeds with less effort, less downshifting when going up a hill. Downside is my mpg's suffered a bit but that's a price you pay and it's louder. I've twisted the throttle all the way once through the gears to see how it went after the dyno tune and can't seeing myself doing it again.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a power increase but its not an outrageous increase. It just gets you to your speed faster. I more than likely will not have another bike without cams. I enjoy them but Id like even more. You can have a speeding problem with or without them.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah...I know what you mean.....having fun really suxx..... leave it stock!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_oh
Yeah...I know what you mean.....having fun really suxx..... leave it stock!
LMAO,,, Good point!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not