Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ohlins installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVmnt
Actually 2B's have an extra mm of travel. Which is inconsequential.. I drag stock boards and the right exhaust bracket on my Power Duals if i'm too aggressive in a corner. losing an extra inch would be detrimental to my chrome!

I WILL be recommending the 2A's to a guy I know that just bought a 2012SG. He installed the Low shocks on his SG and I can't imagine how horrible they are. He's barely 5'6 and the new frame makes him unable to flatfoot the bike even with the lower front/rear. I'm 6'1 and 12" is the perfect height for me.
Yea I stand corrected on the travel, you are right, but stock SG shocks are 12" right? So wouldn't 2A's being 12 1/8" in length be a perfect swap? 2B's would raise the bike since they are 12 7/8" and that would be ok if that's what someone wants. I guess my point is that the 2A's should not lower a SG or a RG, they should be within 1/8" from stock correct?

Keep in mind that I run my 2A's on my Ultra not on my FLHX so I'm asking and not telling haha. Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 05-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's 12 1/8" Total length. When set up for sag and rider weight you'll lose 1/3 the travel. Roughly 25mm or an inch. So in reality with you riding it, they will be 11 1/8" shocks. As shooter proved however, stock shocks DO sag as well. A wee bit over 1/2 of an inch. I always had it in my mind there was a wee bit of sag from the bikes weight but I NEVER felt the seat move when I sat on it. LIke the shocks were boards compared to the 13" shocks on ultra's or RKings.

So.. Riding position of a stock SG is probably a little closer to the A's than the B's. In reality we're still only talking 3/4" difference between the A's and B's.. So from my best estimates the B's will site 1/4" higher than stock when loaded up and going down the road. A's would be 1/2" shorter than stock.

Last edited by SDVmnt; 05-08-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That's 12 1/8" Total length. When set up for sag and rider weight you'll lose 1/3 the travel. Roughly 25mm or an inch. So in reality with you riding it, they will be 11 1/8" shocks. As shooter proved however, stock shocks DO sag as well. A wee bit over 1/2 of an inch. I always had it in my mind there was a wee bit of sag from the bikes weight but I NEVER felt the seat move when I sat on it. LIke the shocks were boards compared to the 13" shocks on ultra's or RKings.

So.. Riding position of a stock SG is probably a little closer to the A's than the B's. In reality we're still only talking 3/4" difference between the A's and B's.. So from my best estimates the B's will site 1/4" higher than stock when loaded up and going down the road. A's would be 1/2" shorter than stock.
After all the thinking, which hurt my brain...... and talking with Howard, and reading all the PDFs on his site, I decided to go with the 2~2a Ohlins.

Parked height will be close to the OEM shocks. Riding height will be, as you said somewhat lower.

Now I just have to wait for Howard to build mine, and get them to me. Can't wait.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

As others have said, you really feel how badly the front performs once you install the ohlins in the rear.
I got the hook up for that nasty front end and you don't have to get get a second mortgage on your house to do it.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I got the hook up for that nasty front end and you don't have to get get a second mortgage on your house to do it.
Watch you got fab? I have racetech gold valves in the front on my 01 Ultra and progressive in the front on my 2010 FLHX. Although they are by far better than stock, I still am not that impressed with them. To be fair I did eliminate stroke a bit by lowering.

I was going to try AK-20 Axxion, but I wonder how much better they are than what I have? Especially for the coin. I know if anyone knows you would, so I'm all ears?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Watch you got fab? I have racetech gold valves in the front on my 01 Ultra and progressive in the front on my 2010 FLHX. Although they are by far better than stock, I still am not that impressed with them. To be fair I did eliminate stroke a bit by lowering.

I was going to try AK-20 Axxion, but I wonder how much better they are than what I have? Especially for the coin. I know if anyone knows you would, so I'm all ears?
I'm not gonna hijack this thread but you can check this out https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html and let me know if you are interested.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

fabrik8r I've read that thread a few times. Embarrassingly I can change cams, wire bars change tires compensator etc.. I am however CLUELESS when it comes to the front shocks on an FLH with the fairing. I guess I need to grab the manual and understand it first.

My wifes '02 Roadking needs something done very soon. Front dives so bad when just using back brakes coming to a stop, I had to rag on her for it. Only to find out she wasn't even touching it.

From my understanding I need a couple sets of Intiminators and the properly rated single rate springs. Wife weighs 120 and I'm 205. 50nm and 95nm springs?? Am I close?

Last edited by SDVmnt; 05-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I'm not gonna hijack this thread but you can check this out https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html and let me know if you are interested.
My apologies to the OP for temp hyjacking.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Hell no.. Apologies not needed. I'm in the game for a couple of sets of front shocks. Want to see what this 1000lb hog can really feel like. Hardtails are gone