Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Regal (tufted) or Smooth seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
brschmidt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang Regal (tufted) or Smooth seats

To make it more comfortable for my wife I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mustang Wide Touring seat for my 06 RKC. I prefer the look of their Regal (tufted) seat over the smooth seat but I am wondering if the covered tuft buttons would cause any discomfort - for either the rider or passenger.

Anybody experience any issues with the tufted seat's buttons?

Big THANKS for the input!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brschmidt
To make it more comfortable for my wife I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mustang Wide Touring seat for my 06 RKC. I prefer the look of their Regal (tufted) seat over the smooth seat but I am wondering if the covered tuft buttons would cause any discomfort - for either the rider or passenger.

Anybody experience any issues with the tufted seat's buttons?

Big THANKS for the input!
I have the Regal and love it. The buttons are not felt, by me at least... no ol' lady, so... but, do note the seat did raise me up at least 1.5 and set me back just over 1.5 inches... I can't reach my highway pegs comfortably anymore... and, I'm replacing my OEM handlebar this weekend with a KW Ergo Back bar, because of the new seat...

I'm 5' 8", 165... 34" inseam, 17" reach

But, the new seat is worth it... (And pay attention to what hardwork2 says about the wide vs normal Regal)

Last edited by Joltergeist; 05-11-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Regal on my Limited. Love the seat. that is all I can say IMO the best seat on the market.
FYI If you order factory direct. you'll get a 30 money back if your not happy with the seat.
I see your interestd in the wide model. if your not tall the standard model may suit you better. I thought I wanted the wide one. After talking to some chick at the factory she sugessted the regular model I think her name was kathy? Anyway she knows seats. Let me know what happens. your a$$ will thank you.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
batman4706
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat

I had one on my RK and it is a great seat. I had the one with the buttons and had one button come of. I emailed Mustang and they sent me a kit to fix it, plus a free hat.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tuft ones will leak water through the button holes. If you wash your bike or get caught in the rain your seat may be wet for days. Every time you sit on it your butt will get wet. Any seat can leak water though the seams, button holes are just one more way for water to enter the seat and at some point it will.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
The tuft ones will leak water through the button holes. If you wash your bike or get caught in the rain your seat may be wet for days. Every time you sit on it your butt will get wet. Any seat can leak water though the seams, button holes are just one more way for water to enter the seat and at some point it will.
I have one of each. The buttons will leak if exposed to water.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Had the smooth one on my EG and the little woman hated it. Too firm. Traded for a Sundowner and now she is happy. Much softer seat, but still firmer than stock. Made out of memory foam. Nice.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
brschmidt
Intermediate

Thanks - that's all great input and exactly what I was looking for.

Joltergeit's comment about the seat moving me back and up 1.5 inches concerns me. I already have my Heritage bars leaning back so this seat may also cost me new handlebars/cables and longer legs.

I may take Batman4706's suggestion and pay the extra $ and get the 30 day return.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brschmidt
Thanks - that's all great input and exactly what I was looking for.

Joltergeist's comment about the seat moving me back and up 1.5 inches concerns me. I already have my Heritage bars leaning back so this seat may also cost me new handlebars/cables and longer legs.

I may take Batman4706's suggestion and pay the extra $ and get the 30 day return.
Good idea... the seat cost me new bars (Ergo Back) and I have to get proper peg mounts now for the highway pegs...