Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna see what happens if you do burnouts on a Harley? Pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guntoter
In the first set of photos the clutch basket, which is the part holding all the clutch plates, is cracked completely across. Also the friction plates tabs, which fit into the clutch hub and engage the clutch when the clutch lever is let out, are hammered all to hell from so much torque being blasted against them. The scrape mark is on the inner primary from the clutch basket/starter ring flexing so much from the heavy torque that it rubbed the inner primary. The bearing race is the inner primary bearing race and it has a large pit or gouge in it, no doubt from metal going through it.

The last set is a clutch basket with about 1/3 of it completely broken off and the carnage done to the inside of the primary cover by all that metal flying around inside at high speed.
Hey Guntoter. Thanks for the details. Now it actually makes a little sense!!!!! And here I thought I wouldn't learn anything today!!!

Think I'll keep riding mine like a grandma. Thanks again.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
In the first set of photos the clutch basket, which is the part holding all the clutch plates, is cracked completely across. Also the friction plates tabs, which fit into the clutch hub and engage the clutch when the clutch lever is let out, are hammered all to hell from so much torque being blasted against them. The scrape mark is on the inner primary from the clutch basket/starter ring flexing so much from the heavy torque that it rubbed the inner primary. The bearing race is the inner primary bearing race and it has a large pit or gouge in it, no doubt from metal going through it.

The last set is a clutch basket with about 1/3 of it completely broken off and the carnage done to the inside of the primary cover by all that metal flying around inside at high speed.
Very accurate description! Thanks!

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
thats gonna leave a mark!!! (in his wallet!)
So far, $150 for a new clutch and basket (a take-off). Another $150 in gaskets bearing and oil. Now I have to either buy a special Jims tool to pull the inner bearing race, or take it to a local guy and have the race removed and the new one pressed on. So that's another $100-$300 depending on my decision. Plus another $250 for a SE Compensator. I don't think I can put a 25k mile stock compensator back in it and feel confident.

So I'm in it for $600 or so.

If I had to buy a new flywheel/basket, list from Harley is $560. A new clutch would be another $160. So, overall, I'm not in too bad shape.

Sucks though, 'cause I'd rather have a new exhaust LOL.

I guess I should have kept the '04 Road King. Much easier on parts to light off a 150 tire...

Last edited by JCleary; 05-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope it was fun while it was being done.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's all good fun! LOL! Even fixing broken stuff

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the initial $20,000 to buy my 2012 Street Glide & another $10K in HD accessories I won't be doing any burnouts soon! My pockets are not that deep & I am not that stupid!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
With the initial $20,000 to buy my 2012 Street Glide & another $10K in HD accessories I won't be doing any burnouts soon! My pockets are not that deep & I am not that stupid!
You're into it 30k already, what's another 600 bucks? Come on, do a nasty burnout and videotape it for the rest of us to enjoy

The following users liked this post:
pokitchange (08-24-2019)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I've never been impressed with burnouts. Why tear up your bike?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I never understood the whole burnout pit thing at rallies. I always think, nope not my bike.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
PeterPanHead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will admit to cheering a few burnouts @ Iron Horse while waiting for D.A.C. to take the stage.......but not for me - or my bike.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,973 Likes on 3,046 Posts

If you wanted to smoke tires, you should have bought a race car. Gee Golly, I bet you pull wheely's too.
Fix it. And learn a lesson.
Or if you've got the money, Do it again.
Can't fix stupid.

Quick Reply: Wanna see what happens if you do burnouts on a Harley? Pics inside...