Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to take off oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I used a larger channel lock to take the first filter off, then started using an K&N oil filter with a 17mm nut on the end...no more special gadgets needed or need to get around anything...
+1 for K&N

Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 AM
CHOOK
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up First attempt

My first attempt(s) on my 2012 Fat Bob have been frustrating. I'm the 2nd owner and I know once I get the filter off and all the specific tools to do it properly it will be easier the next time. Bought the 76mm 14 flute filter removal tool form my local HD dealer. It stripped the flutes on the filter so it's not budging but I'm going to try putting sandpaper inside the cap then pushing it onto the filter for a better grip. See how that goes...
Btw I'm picking up some good tips from everyone so thanks for that

Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

K/N 171 C and be done with it.
Catch 'em on sale and stock up.
Ride.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDozer
these are awsome!! for changing oil filter...no flex and machined...pretty slick some HD dealers actually carry them.

http://www.efabex.com/paulimoto/inde...ter%20Wrenches
Originally Posted by bmaier
That's the same one I bought from my local dealer. Just a few backs more than the HD model and much more solid
I suppose 'few' is relative. I bought the official hd oil filter wrench for about $10. this filter wrench is $30, so 3 times the hd cost. sure, it's only $20 but still....

even worse, I don't even use the hd one anymore. I found the rivco oil wench (yes, that is spelled correctly) works even better, and is much easier to use...

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by CHOOK
My first attempt(s) on my 2012 Fat Bob have been frustrating. I'm the 2nd owner and I know once I get the filter off and all the specific tools to do it properly it will be easier the next time. Bought the 76mm 14 flute filter removal tool form my local HD dealer. It stripped the flutes on the filter so it's not budging but I'm going to try putting sandpaper inside the cap then pushing it onto the filter for a better grip. See how that goes...
I helped a friend with an oil change that was like that. what I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the end of the cap wrench, then running a screw through the wrench into the filter. kept it from spinning on the filter.

Last edited by skratch; 04-14-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

If anyone buys a machined $32 oil filter removal socket...IMO...they're nuts. I bought this and it's larger twin at Menards...they work on every motor I own (mower to V8 Mustang). Even better than HD's spendy filter socket.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...2112271951.htm

Old 04-14-2018, 07:34 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

EDIT: Removed dead thread comment, too early no caffeine yet.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 04-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Dead thread for six years, pretty sure the guy got his filter off by now.
We're not commenting on the thread age (2012, zombie thread)...adding examples and insight on ways/methods to remove. These threads never die and you never know when someone might need a tip.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:37 AM
CHOOK
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
I suppose 'few' is relative. I bought the official hd oil filter wrench for about $10. this filter wrench is $30, so 3 times the hd cost. sure, it's only $20 but still....

even worse, I don't even use the hd one anymore. I found the rivco oil wench (yes, that is spelled correctly) works even better, and is much easier to use...

https://www.amazon.com/Rivco-HD021-F.../dp/B007KPWBXC

I helped a friend with an oil change that was like that. what I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the end of the cap wrench, then running a screw through the wrench into the filter. kept it from spinning on the filter.
Thanks mate I'll try that if the sandpaper fails

Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOOK
I used black elec. tape in the cap of the wrench in the past.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:53 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

yes, as stated above get the oil filter tool from HD

Quick Reply: How to take off oil filter?