Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   SE Fatshotz vs Supertrapp Fatshots (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/770364-se-fatshotz-vs-supertrapp-fatshots.html)

DeneFXDWG 05-24-2012 11:58 PM

SE Fatshotz vs Supertrapp Fatshots

I just read a quote from Fuel Moto from Aug 2009. It was a short descrip of both muffler systems. Here it is:
It is possible to remove the security bolts on the SE Fatshotz with the right bit and some effort, but note this muffler has a very different core which because it is a EPA compliant design is a compromise for performance, sound and tunability compared to the actual Supertrapp Fat Shots which were designed as a completely tunable muffler.
I just bought a set of SE Fatshotz and they are on the way. Please say that I can tune them as you can the genuine ST versions? I phoned ST the other day and even though I didn't ask them about tuneability I gathered the company said that they are about the same, just different markings for EPA compliant crap. Also, does anybody run them with true duals please and can they be made to be slightly deeper and quieter than stock?

0ldhippie 05-25-2012 01:11 AM

I've got fatshotz and they are tuneable. Came with 10 discs and open cap. I've got 16 discs and closed end caps. '09 stock headers (no CAT) and they are real quiet, but I think I lost some power over the open end caps? I'm gonna try 19 discs and/or go back to open caps? Not sure how different they are from the supertrapp ones but they made a nice power difference over the stock mufflers without adding much noise.

Glockcubed 05-25-2012 06:47 AM

I have the SE Fatshotz, I have just installed V&H Dresser Duals, and the SE Ventilator. The sound is very good now. I have not adjusted the Fatshotz. When I give it some throttle cagers can hear me. I had a neighbor come over and look at my bike, he said that it sounded really good coming up the street. I am very pleased with the sound now.

Steve On 3 05-25-2012 09:20 AM

I had the SE version put on mine along w stage 1 and d/l. Nicemellow soung, mpg up about 4 and really woke the power up. Tech said they were set for 103 touring bikes. I could add more discs if i purchased them but i figure the engineers had more and better equipment than i did to measure torque and hp

davessworks 05-25-2012 09:27 AM

I put the SE Fatshotz on my bike after tuning it for Kromewerks pipes. I lost about 4hp but gained a lot of relief from the noise level - which makes for a more relaxing ride. I've had the tuning disks off just to look and clearly they can be tunes - but I'm happy with them "as is".

Pastor John 05-25-2012 07:06 PM

I seem to recall that SuperTrapp offers a tuning kit specifically for the SE Fatshotz; you might want to check their website....

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...ic/file-34.jpg

bigdumbnoitall00 05-26-2012 09:40 AM

they do use a different baffle but are both tunable.the se version aren't as loud with the same amount of discs.and the se version have the security screw holding the discs easy enough to replace.

VineRider 05-26-2012 10:12 AM

I have the SE Fatshotz also. I'm not an expert on the tuning discs, but essentially, they are straight through mufflers. I love the sound and I got a "seat of the pants" dyno that feels like it opened mine up a bit. I just have the stage 1 on mine, but am very happy with the Fatshotz. Best sound of any SE muffler in my opinion...(which I know is worth about as much as it cost you :))

Javieret 05-26-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00 (Post 9851984)
they do use a different baffle but are both tunable.the se version aren't as loud with the same amount of discs.and the se version have the security screw holding the discs easy enough to replace.

Hi,

Can you please explain how is that security screw and how can it be replaced?

I'm thinking in buying the SE and that can be a good thing.

Thanks

0ldhippie 05-26-2012 03:56 PM

A allen head with a pin in the middle. All ya need is "Security " allen bit/key. Got mine at ACE. guess ya could dremel the pin out of there too? The security screw is also too short to add discs so ya will need a longer allen screw to do any tuning.