Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra fi2000 powerpro tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobra fi2000 powerpro tuner

Has anyone used one of these COBRA FI2000 POWERPRO TUNER, I have a 08 FLHTC and put cams in. not real happy with the PCV maps I have used. Looking for something better. I had Fuel Moto retro fit a PCV for me and I know I can use the auto tune but then you have 2 things piggybacking off the computer.

The following users liked this post:
Djcamis (06-03-2016)
Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havnt, but is that the one that programs itself?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello,

This seems to be a common question right now. I have it and it does work. I had my first one fail due to to rich of a map.

Basically (might be different with O2 sensors) but I had to get another one from Cobra that leaned it out more. They do work and so far it seems most people like them. I think your power commander would be more useful than this. Plus they are expensive 400+ range. For that you could get your bike dyno tuned and would probably work better.

For me I am thinking of pulling it out and going to a pc commander.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

not sure but can the cobra do anything with timing?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM
DernHumpus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
not sure but can the cobra do anything with timing?
No. The cobra hooks into the O2 sensors and injectors. It widens or narrows the pulse width on the injectors to achieve a ideal AF ratio. (I don't know where cobra set it to).

I just had one installed with my 204 cams. The bike runs well, got 40mpg with me hot rodding it the whole tank.

The reason I went with cobra was because my dealer does not have a dyno and they push the cobras really hard, and have a lot of confidence in them.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The main point of the Powerpro is that it tunes automatically, no dyno involved. I paid around $450 for mine, but that was the end of the story. With those other tuners you need the dyno tune, which can add up to twice the price to the cost of the PCV, Powervision, etc. How much do you want to spend, and how much time do you want to devote to tweaking your bike? I just wanted mine to run better with minimal effort, and that's what happened. The more performance you want out of your bike, the higher the cost, your choice.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to dyno tune, I have already done that with the pcv and it just isn't perfect, it is if you ride full throttle all day long. The dyno tuners around here suck, plus I think if it were something that learns as you ride it would help in the mountains with elevation also.
I am trying to just figure if this is better then the auto tune with the PCV if it is as good it's one unit instead of 2. The more things on the bike is just more to go bad.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

point of the Powerpro is that it tunes automatically, no dyno involved. I paid around $450 for mine, but that was the end of the story. With those other tuners you need the dyno tune, which can add up to twice the price to the cost of the PCV, Powervision, etc. How much do you want to spend, and how much time do you want to devote to tweaking your bike? I just wanted mine to run better with minimal effort, and that's what happened. The more performance you want out of your bike, the higher the cost, your choice.
Most people that buy the powerpro don't realize that they are spending $450 on a device that will only adjust fuel. To get it right you have to adjust timing as well. Not only that, but your attaching an electronic device on your bike that will eventually fail only to buy another.

You can take any of the quality tuners and tune them yourselves and get a much better set up. (TTS, septpro, ect) These tuners reflash your ECM and you don't have anything attached to your bike.

I spent 250 bucks on my TTS (bought the 2 bike tune for 499 and slpit it with my brother. It marries itself to two different bikes) Had it dyno tuned by a well known tuner for 300 bucks. So I have a total of $550 into my tune and the bike is spot on.

If you do your homework you don't have to spend much more to get it right then you will on a tuner that just does part of the job.

You really don't know what your missing until your bike runs as well as it should. It's not just about getting the last once of horsepower out of it....it also about just the way it cruises.

Last edited by rooti; 05-27-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My last bike had a SERT tuner, my FLHX is running as good as that one ever did. I hate the fact that my SERT was "married" to my bike, I can remove my Powerpro at any time and sell it or install it on another bike if I want. So far I'm getting great performance, and while I can't say how long the unit will last, it's usually the case for electronics to fail right away or last a good long time. I'll let you know how it works out!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, just don't get it wet and carry towing in your insurance policy

Quick Reply: Cobra fi2000 powerpro tuner