Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Mcbeeroadking
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road king cranks won't start

I have a 2005 road king with 13k miles on it, was going about 50 mph and just shut off. Checked fuses-ok. When u turn it on u can't hear the fuel pump coming on. I took it to a guy to work on it. He checked all the " fuel " related stuff and everything is ok. He thinks it might be a security/electrical issue. Just got the bike a month ago and the original owner says it didnt come with a key fob. Also, sprayed ether on it and it started and ran for a few seconds. Any suggestions??

Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If it ran with ether then it isn't electrical. Still fuel related it sounds like. If you don't hear the fuel pump, AND its fuel injection, then that would be a problem.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a fuel flow issue. When you gave it a direct shot of "fuel" and it ran, ruled out many other issues.

If you don't hear the fuel pump running then I'd check for voltage at the pump. Careful ... any spark may cause an explosion. There has been issues with the fuel pump housing cracking and not working correctly. I think it was on certain years of bikes. Also I believe there is a fuse or breaker just for the pump.

Also I've heard (read it here) there is a certain sequence of turning it on and starting it that others have reported as a different routine to have it run. This was on certain years of bikes.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Mcbeeroadking
1st Gear

The guy working on it says the pump, fuses, connections are ok. He is saying something about a security feature under the seat and taking it to dealer to reset something?? I am new to this bc i have only owned bike for 30 days.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Mcbeeroadking
1st Gear

I just spoke to original owner and he said he put new pipes and a screaming eagle on it and then it didn't run good at all so he had to have computer do something to it to make run correctly. Maybe that needs reset??? Anyone heard of this?? Thanks!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

The computer sounds like he had it remapped possibly, thats the tune. Don't know how it could be a security thing if it runs with starting fluid into it, unless there is some security feature that disables the fuel pump? If that's the case, how do they know the fuel system is ok if the security is disabling it? Sounds like you might want to get a second opinion on the fuel system! just a thought

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Since theres no way to tell what was done to it, I would see if It can be flashed to factory setting and start over with it. I bet ya by resetting it to fac settings it will run....who the hell knows what was done to it by whom...how did it run before it quit?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Mcbeeroadking
1st Gear

Ran perfect before it quit. The orig owner found the book with the tuning instructions maybe that will help.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Mcbeeroadking
1st Gear

Ok. Got error code b1005. It has a techlusion stealth unit on it. If this wasn't adjusted corretly wonder if it shut whole computer system down??