Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod touch install easy/cheap for SG pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod touch install easy/cheap for SG pics

After much thought I decided to install a Ipod Touch for mp3 on my 12 SG. I looked into the HD adapter but it was just to much money and I really didn't want to take the bike apart. I purchased a black Leader bar mount along with the Ipod cradle. Same mount I have on the left side for my Zumo. Quality built plus it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Mainly what I like about the mount is if in the future I decided to take it off you would never know it was ever there.

I purchased a Ipod cable with an aux plug and usb plug built in from ebay for $8. The mount with cradle was $80. I already have the double usb cig lighter charger plug from my previous Zumo install. So I'm into it for around $90 bucks.

I ran the wires under the triple tree without disassembling anything. I put a couple of black cable straps to secure it underneath. It all can be taken off with ease if needed.

Now my Ipod charges while the bike is on so I don't have to worry about running out of juice when riding. I can control the volume control from the factory switch on the bars but do have to change songs on the Ipod itself, not a big deal to me. easy peasy......

Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clever, where did you get adapter for the cigarette light?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I am about to do the same thing, but have you had any issues with the screen going blank in the heat/sun? I tried my touch last year and had it sitting on my seat while gearing up and the screen went dark until it cooled off. I found the double plug at Best Buy.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Oh, you have voided your warranty using that USB plug in the cig lighter Manual say not to do that. I just can't believe they actually state that in the manual - LOL

Nice setup and clean. I agree the Harley one is way too $$$. It would be almost $500 to fully integrate an IPOD on my RG since I have the fairing amp (must put the IPOD IF in the saddlebag) Heck I bought one of those fancy stereos for my truck with everything (GPS, IPOD IF, Phone IF etc) for only $600. That said it is sure nice to control the IPOD through the stereo especially with my 6th gen Nano. The screen is small...

I have had bad luck with those cig lighter USB plugs. They are cheap switching supplies and with continual use the caps break down and you can hear a hum on your music. And it gets worse and worse. Been through a half a dozen so far. Different brands etc. They all do it after a while...

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn nice set up, write up and pics. Thanks. Links to parts and #'s would make it perfect.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by Johan96
target...

Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
I am about to do the same thing, but have you had any issues with the screen going blank in the heat/sun? I tried my touch last year and had it sitting on my seat while gearing up and the screen went dark until it cooled off. I found the double plug at Best Buy.

no issues as of yet...

Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by PhotoRider
Oh, you have voided your warranty using that USB plug in the cig lighter Manual say not to do that. I just can't believe they actually state that in the manual - LOL

Nice setup and clean. I agree the Harley one is way too $$$. It would be almost $500 to fully integrate an IPOD on my RG since I have the fairing amp (must put the IPOD IF in the saddlebag) Heck I bought one of those fancy stereos for my truck with everything (GPS, IPOD IF, Phone IF etc) for only $600. That said it is sure nice to control the IPOD through the stereo especially with my 6th gen Nano. The screen is small...

I have had bad luck with those cig lighter USB plugs. They are cheap switching supplies and with continual use the caps break down and you can hear a hum on your music. And it gets worse and worse. Been through a half a dozen so far. Different brands etc. They all do it after a while...
no problems as of yet...I keep mine plugged in all of the time though...plug was like 15 bucks so worst case I'd just buy another one...

Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Damn nice set up, write up and pics. Thanks. Links to parts and #'s would make it perfect.

ask and you shall receive...

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/delu...-harley-black/

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/CRAD-I.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-E60-...item43b17c2fef

http://www.target.com/p/griffin-dual...r/-/A-13671868

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by Johan96
here's the link...

http://www.target.com/p/griffin-dual...r/-/A-13671868

Quick Reply: Ipod touch install easy/cheap for SG pics