Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for "Hot" passenger feet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cure for "Hot" passenger feet?

We own a 2008 Ultra and I've done all the things suggested on the forum trying to control the heat (IED's, thigh guards, tru-duals, etc...). The heat isn't so much an issue with me anymore, but my wife usually rides in flip flops, and the heat on her feet/ankles is almost unbearable when the outside temp is upper 90's / 100's. Her feet swell and turn red from the heat.
I've tried telling her to wear shoes but she says that its too hot.
Anyway-she usually soaks bandanas in ice water and wraps them around her feet/ankles. The problem here is they dry out so quickly (not to mention she looks like a gangsta lol).
I've been searching the net looking for slip on socks, wraps, or something along those lines that will hold water, or maybe filled with cooling gel.
I know they make neck wraps that you soak in ice water then wrap around your neck, but I've yet to find anything else that is more suited for an ankle.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ezryder62881
We own a 2008 Ultra and I've done all the things suggested on the forum trying to control the heat (IED's, thigh guards, tru-duals, etc...). The heat isn't so much an issue with me anymore, but my wife usually rides in flip flops, and the heat on her feet/ankles is almost unbearable when the outside temp is upper 90's / 100's. Her feet swell and turn red from the heat.
I've tried telling her to wear shoes but she says that its too hot.
Anyway-she usually soaks bandanas in ice water and wraps them around her feet/ankles. The problem here is they dry out so quickly (not to mention she looks like a gangsta lol).
I've been searching the net looking for slip on socks, wraps, or something along those lines that will hold water, or maybe filled with cooling gel.
I know they make neck wraps that you soak in ice water then wrap around your neck, but I've yet to find anything else that is more suited for an ankle.
Anyone have any ideas?
Call me a tyrant if you want but I'll never let my SO ride with me if she was wearing flip-flops. Not that she would try anyway.
She wears boots with cotton socks and I don't think her feet/ankles are hotter than if she was riding bare foot.
Have you tried moving her floorboards away from the exhaust? My 09 Ultra has 2 positions for the floorboards and Kuryakyn carries adjustable footpegs for the passenger. If this doesn't solve the problem, I don't know of another solution other than not riding on very hot days.
Wish I could help more than that. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bet money that wearing boots would be less hot than wearing flip flops. If she does not want to walk around in leather boots then bring them with and change when you get where you are going.

Phil

Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

How about rain boots filled with water?

The following users liked this post:
whiskeyfire (04-10-2019)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Does she wear shorts too because jeans are too hot?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife likes the Kuryakyn adjustable pegs. They give your feet more distance from hot pipes and also if you have saddlebag guards she won't complain of her back calves hitting bag guard bar.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/159...Passenger-Pegs

Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Only way her feet are not going to get roasted while riding with flips is with dry ice ( just kidding).
Seriously though, stop spending $ trying to cool that area if shes going to insist on riding in flips......does she have any idea what a mangled mess her feet will sustain if god forbid you guys ever go down? We are just looking out for you when we say dude you need to step in and do something about that.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by skdvr
I'd bet money that wearing boots would be less hot than wearing flip flops. If she does not want to walk around in leather boots then bring them with and change when you get where you are going.

Phil
Your right phil, when I was test running my bike during the initial install of my PCV I was in shorts and the heat against my thighs and ankles was surprisingly brutal. With jeans and boots it wasnt even noticeable.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the kuryakyn passenger adjustable pegs but still notice that there's little to no airflow behind my leg and my SO's right foot really gets hot. I have the lower fairings on my bike and they are wide open but I'm thinking in this really hot weather we're having that I'm going to remove them and see if that gets some appreciable air flow heading back there.

Last edited by JJHOG; 07-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
My wife likes the Kuryakyn adjustable pegs. They give your feet more distance from hot pipes and also if you have saddlebag guards she won't complain of her back calves hitting bag guard bar.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/159...Passenger-Pegs
+1 these are great for many reasons.
Kris

Quick Reply: Cure for "Hot" passenger feet?