Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales dept. AWESOME! Service dept? Will find out tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Deadmaninc6666
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales dept. AWESOME! Service dept? Will find out tomorrow!

I am not going to name the dealer just yet. I want to see how they are going to deal with this problem first. I will be speaking with the Service Manager tomorrow morning. If he tells me tough ****, nothing he can do about it, I'll be more than happy to let you know who the dealer is. If he make right on the situation, I'll continue to praise the dealer. Now, an explination to my issues.

Let me start from the begining. On 4/28 (21 days after I bought the bike), I brought it in for a front end wobble. It had 12568 miles on it. I was told they adjusted the steering head bearings to spec. They said this was something that should have been done at the 10k service. Well, I bought the bike with 11251 miles on it. Not knowing any better, I paid the $96 service charged me to have this done because it was not warrantied. The bike didn't come with an owners manual. The previous owner must have kept it (bike is a 2010, bought used). I bought a brand new one owners manual. While reading it, I discoverd the recomended service interval for having the steering head lubricated was every 10k and adjusted every 25k! So now I feel ripped off for $96.

My second complaint..... I dropped my bike off on 7/8 in the afternoon. I called on the 11th to see if they had looked at it yet, they said yes, on the 9th and parts were on order (primary compensator). Called on the 12th, parts not in yet. Called on the 13th, parts are in but they doubt it will be done for another couple of days. Called on the 15th in hopes maybe it was done over the weekend because they do have weekend service. Bike not done. Just got off the phone today (7/17), BIKE STILL NOT DONE!!!!!!! Parts have been in since Friday and nobody touched the bike. Service writer said their best mechanic started it and they wanted him to finish it (understandable and I appreciate that). I was told he was off today. I asked when was the last time he worked? I was told Saturday. Ok, so he had a 3 day weekend? I can understand that, but I can't understand parts being in for 5 days and my bike not being done!!!!

I usually don't rant about this ****, but I love my bike and it has become my primary means of transportation since I bought it. Not now, I haven't had it for 9 days!!!! Am I wrong for being so pissed with the service department of this dealer?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't blame you for being mad, but I'd say everything sounds about normal so far, (unfortunately), I'm guessing late Thursday or Friday your bike may be done, you'll have a nice invoice, and maybe something else not quite right, hopefully I'm wrong.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Big E1
Tourer

I appreciate your frustation. I have been there myself have dropped my bike off for an ordinary service and it took them 2 1/2 weeks. not acceptable. Good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Your first complaint: you took it in for a wobble problem and they worked on the bike so you were charged. Now whether that is a warranty issue or a service issue will be the argument. I don't know, I had to pay for some sticky break pads once that I thought should have been warranteed.

Second complaint: If the tech is gone your bike doesn't get worked on by another tech. This actually keeps them from blaming each other if something goes wrong.
I bought a new bike in 2008 with some mods to be done before I picked it up. He didn't start on the mods until noon Saturday. He then went on vacation. Talk about being pissed, I had a new bike that was just sitting there for a week waiting for him to come back. I could have been riding it stock while he was gone. That service writter is no long there thank gawd.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 07-17-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Default wobble

I asked about the same thing and was told that Harley has decided that the neck bearings/head bearings need to be adjusted every service. And it's an added cost to the posted cost of the service,I was told an hour and a half . Good luck with your quest to get this worked out. Jim

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

You brought the bike in with a wobble complaint and they checked the steering head and made adjustments.

So how is their fee for service that you asked to have checked wrong? Did I miss something?

I would never take a bike into the dealer until the parts were in. I wouldn't anyway as I do my own work but it just seems like a good move to have the parts first. HD is running their parts inventory low for the past few years and it is just not uncommon for back orders.

At this time of the year most dealers can't even get services scheduled for 3-4 weeks out.

I don't see any problem with the time frame you mentioned. Just wait for the bill you get when it's done. It will make the $96 seems like a bargain.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Brought my bike in to have the cases resealed. Engine pulled,cases split,resealed,put back together. 4 1/2 days, and the job was done perfectly. All under ESP.

My dealer service dept. almost always takes me without an appointment, and it is almost always finished in a couple hours. They are the absolute best dealership in the world.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, at least my dealer is honest about their high prices and crappy service.

I called last year about getting rear tire installed. My quote was 450.00. After I picked the phone up off the floor, I asked when they could bend me over,....er, I mean install the tire. Answer? "A week from next Tuesday".

I'm not sure if I even said goodbye before hanging up.

Shakey

Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine a sales department not impressing you. After all, they are being nice trying to sell something. Service will always be another matter since the motivation is different and the "cash flow" may be in the opposite direction. Best of luck with your situation and I hope you are able to continue your praise!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think its karma for trying to cancel a Sturgis trip. ;-)

We need to get a lift table....

Quick Reply: Sales dept. AWESOME! Service dept? Will find out tomorrow!