Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Idea, I can't be the first

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crazy Idea, I can't be the first

I was recently on a 3000 mile trip with my brother and friend. On the trip we stopped at several HD Dealers. While in Dothan AL I had the chance to ride a Road Glide, while my bike was being serviced. I had always heard that the fugly was the best riding bike but I could never get past the dual headlights and frame mounted fairing (dual headlights is my biggest issue). I have to say, as all Rode Glide owners know, the ride is incredible, almost weird. Anyhow. The bike I rode was a 11 CVO and I want it, and hope to make it happen.

I guess my question is this. Why doesn't Harley redefine the fugly with a single headlight? It seems to me that it would make at least feel better about buying it. My next question is, why hasn't an after market company made a new fairing for the fugly to overcome this mental issue.

Understand, I'm just spit balling here. Was riding my SG today and had time to think and this is what I thought about. What say you

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

With a single headlight......it would be a Fugly Clyclops........

Last edited by drukanfu; 08-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You mean like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-HD-FL...-/160847265849

Horribly ugly to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Wonder if it has anything to do with beamwidth of the light ? On a fork-mounted fairing, the headlight is pointed generally in the direction the bike is heading. On a frame-mounted fairing, the center of the beam might be pointed at trees, ditch, guardrail, and thin air at any given time as the bike bends around a curve but the headlight beam is one step behind, not tracking with the direction of the bike.

Twin lights side-by-side would light up a wider,more off-center area than a single light would..

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i think the one in the link does look better, the 2 lights have always looked weird to me, but im still not sold on the whole shark nose altogetherm, I'll keep my SG

Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 AM
flylock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to make the beam turn in the direction the bike is going.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

2 lights ?

well it gives a "signature look" that the market associates with H-D, same as the market associates a big headlight and 2 spots with an FLH series bike.

Brand identification has a lot to do with how styling decisions are made.

here's a link to pic of an '84 FXRT

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1984-h...idson-fxrt.htm

similar fairing was used on FXRPolice ( I have 2)

and came from the Nova project which was a motor design which could be 2, 4 or 6 cylinder

frame mounted, single headlight fairing.

for my riding comfort, I prefer the batwing, even with it's trade off's I prefer it over the tour glide/road glide style --- which dates back to 1979

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-22-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't want a single light on a Road Glide, the twin lights define the bike. It would be like taking one breast of a woman and moving the other to the sternum, just not right.

Originally Posted by vaham
Wonder if it has anything to do with beamwidth of the light ? On a fork-mounted fairing, the headlight is pointed generally in the direction the bike is heading. On a frame-mounted fairing, the center of the beam might be pointed at trees, ditch, guardrail, and thin air at any given time as the bike bends around a curve but the headlight beam is one step behind, not tracking with the direction of the bike.

Twin lights side-by-side would light up a wider,more off-center area than a single light would..

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it..
That's a sound theory, with two you can aim them like Marty Feldman's eyes for better visibility.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Virus_1818
Novice

I didn't like the way they looked for a long time either, until my friend got one. Now, after seeing his all the time the look has grown on me and when I decided to upgrade to a fairing the RG will probably be the direction that I go.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM
CSSmith
Novice

I would have to agree...The two headlights even though they serve a brighter/wider light for the road just looks a little off to me. The fairing IMO does cut the wind a lot better (rode one when I bought my Ultra Classic) but overall I have seen some really good looking/modified RG's both on this forum and on the road that have caught my eye. For me, I will stick with the Ultra and the batwing

Quick Reply: Crazy Idea, I can't be the first