Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patch or buy new tire????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
rellortnoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patch or buy new tire????

Just found a small nail in the rear tire of my new Ultra Limited. Major BUMMER! Especially on a Holiday weekend where I can't get it fixed until Tuesday. That means NO RIDING over the Holiday weekend as I had planned.

Should I plug it and ride? Or wait and have a hot patch put in it? Or buy a new tire on Tuesday? I REALLY wanted to ride this weekend.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 AM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it depends on how far you are wanting to ride. I had a scrrew in my rear tire with only a thousand or so miles on it. I plugged it and rode it to the Harley dealership to have a new one put on. Do a search and you will find about as many vouch for plugging as inside patch or scrapping and buying a new one. It just boils down to the "piece of mind" thing. I didn't feel safe riding on a plugged tire so I bought a new one. That being said, the tire didn't lose an ounce of pressure while I had the plug in it. I say if the nail is in the center of the tire, you're probably OK with plugging it and riding this weekend. But to be on the safe side, I would plug tonight and then check it in the morning to see if it has lost any pressure.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rellortnoc
Just found a small nail in the rear tire of my new Ultra Limited. Major BUMMER! Especially on a Holiday weekend where I can't get it fixed until Tuesday. That means NO RIDING over the Holiday weekend as I had planned.

Should I plug it and ride? Or wait and have a hot patch put in it? Or buy a new tire on Tuesday? I REALLY wanted to ride this weekend.
I would plug it especially if the nail was between tread but even then still would. I have run plugs for years. Even grease plugs naturally mushroom on the inside of the tire and seal really well. I know a kid who works at a jap dealership replacing tires and he tells me they fight over new tires that guys have replaced like yours. They have newer plug kits available that is a rubber mushroom plug, but even before those came out Ive had excellent results with an ordinary sticky grease plugs.

I have one of these in my saddle bag should the need arise.

Last edited by TUCCI; 09-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe this thread should have a poll. Plug it.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Check out this product as well. http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycles.html

http://www.ride-on.com/in-the-media.html

I've used it ever since Rider magazine did a test of it several years ago. In '08 on my Iron Butt ride, I picked up a small, sharp piece of shale in my front tire in Wyoming that penetrated, and when I pulled it out, the Ride On immediately did it's job.

Many retailers are now stocking it, but don't confuse it with Slime. The first booth you saw this year at Sturgis, at Black Hills Harley Davidson, was the Ride On / Amsoil booth.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-01-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 AM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, don't pull the nail out until your ready to insert a plug or change the tire. I have yet to patch any of my bike tires, lucky so far. Things to consider; does the tire hold air; is the nail tight or is it loose; is the nail in a groove or on the wear surface; if you leave the nail in and ride will the nail wear down to a point it will loosen up and cause a leak?

Can you ride it? Its a judgement call considering the risks. You could ride, the issue is will the nail remain intact and will the tire hold air for the weekend. Make sure you have a good tire plug kit onboard and know how to use it. I carry a Stop & Go kit, plus two off the shelf kits from Auto Zone. Most parts stores have the kits. The rubber plugs are considered the better plug to make and hold a seal compared to the grease plug.

My understanding is most if not all dealers will not repair a tire.

Last edited by NECaveman; 09-01-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I've had too many plugged tires on my car that have leaked to have any peace of mind about plugging a tire on my bike. So, I replace the tire.

Mike

Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,964 Likes on 3,041 Posts

Patch and add a tube.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Plugging is meant to be a temporary solution, not a permenant one. I would highly recommend having the tire taken off and having a combination patch plug installed. (that's considering the puncture is in the center of the tread) For true piece of mind replacing it would be best. I realize many have had luck patching, but considering the consequences of having a blowout, well let me say it this way, if your dead as a result, its kind of hard to tell anyone not to plug a tire.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I would plug it especially if the nail was between tread but even then still would. I have run plugs for years. Even grease plugs naturally mushroom on the inside of the tire and seal really well. I know a kid who works at a jap dealership replacing tires and he tells me they fight over new tires that guys have replaced like yours. They have newer plug kits available that is a rubber mushroom plug, but even before those came out Ive had excellent results with an ordinary sticky grease plugs.

I have one of these in my saddle bag should the need arise.
Saw a demo of this at the International Motorcycle show and bought it on the spot. It is a permanent fix for a bias ply tires. I even take the kit with me when we travel in the van.

I will say the company rep did say that these plug kits are a temporary fix for radial motorcycle tires but are a permanent fix for a radial car tire. It has to do with the flex of the tire. Good thing our stock Limited tires are bias ply tires.

This with a small air pump, like the Harley one that plugs into the battery tender lead, is great piece of mind for anyone with tubless tires.

Patch / plug it and forget about it.

Last edited by Tinman265; 09-01-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Patch or buy new tire????