Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fianlly got to try a car tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fianlly got to try a car tire

i was always against the idea and said i woudnt do it on mine but was curious how it rode, well i got to try it out this weekend on a friends bike,
its definately as bas as i thought it would be, to each their own but i now know for a fact i will never run car tire. other than the wear factor i didnt see anything positive from it

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Like you said, to each their own.

I'm glad an anti car tire person finally started their own thread instead of highjacking a pro car tire thread.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
i was always against the idea and said i woudnt do it on mine but was curious how it rode, well i got to try it out this weekend on a friends bike,
its definately as bas as i thought it would be, to each their own but i now know for a fact i will never run car tire. other than the wear factor i didnt see anything positive from it
Why don't you give us a rundown of your experience with the car tire? How did it handle…low speed turns and high speed sweepers? Was it hard to get the bike to lean in? How did it brake? Don't leave us hanging.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

low speeds are very difficult to turn, almost now lean at slow speeds. even at high speeds you still have to put some azz into it to get it lean. the braking wasnt really different to me, when on a straight road it it harder to keep a good line because if it moves lil its hard to just ease back to where you want. for high speed sweeper curves, once you pull it over and get it up on the side of the tire you have to work to hold it there and not let it sit back on the flat. overall it just takes the fun and relexing part of riding out of it. no type of turns or steering is smooth and easy.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just have to wonder why anyone would even put a car tire on a motorcycle..... I also wonder if it would pass a safety inspection, in Virginia we have to get one every year.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Midgitfire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
low speeds are very difficult to turn, almost now lean at slow speeds. even at high speeds you still have to put some azz into it to get it lean. the braking wasnt really different to me, when on a straight road it it harder to keep a good line because if it moves lil its hard to just ease back to where you want. for high speed sweeper curves, once you pull it over and get it up on the side of the tire you have to work to hold it there and not let it sit back on the flat. overall it just takes the fun and relexing part of riding out of it. no type of turns or steering is smooth and easy.
The guy that rode it before you probably used the kill switch to turn it off and cleared out the memory bank in the tire.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm hoping when I replace my first tire the ct works as good as it did on my Valkyrie. Other than your first 2 unanimous observations it was never an issue out performing/equalling someone with a mt on, especially loaded and or wet, high speed curves, I scraped just as much 1 up or 2 up(450#). The King scrapes too.

I heard the same type of comments when the 1100 Suzuki came out, I had no issue handling a CBX, but tried a friends 1100 and could not hold a line for nothing with that mini bike. it's what you're used to and willing to accept.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

The guy that rode it before you probably used the kill switch to turn it off and cleared out the memory bank in the tire.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

I'M not bashing on anyone who runs the car tire, I just now know I can say I've tried it and will never be putting one on my bike. If you like them that's cool. We all have opinions lol

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To each their own. To me it is taking a chance with your life to save a couple of bucks. There is just too much data that proves using a CT on a motorcycle is foolishness and in my opinion dangerous. But, like all things, there are opinions on both sides of the fence. I will error on the side of experts who have far and away more knowledge on this subject than those who claim CT are fine on a bike.

Last edited by Terrabella; 09-17-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: fianlly got to try a car tire