Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rider seeking advice......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:19 PM
wbsully1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider seeking advice......

Help! I'm an older (50's), larger (height and weight) new rider looking to buy my first bike!

Have always been a fan of the Road Glide, and have found a Road Glide Ultra. It's a 2011 with 38K miles. HD dealer selling, wants $19,500 no major cosmetic or mechanical issues. Daily rider who traded in for new Road Glide.

Good Price?
Good Bike?
Questions to ask?
Things to look for?

wbs

Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 PM
darkcustom48
Cruiser

Sorry. But that is way too much in my opinion. Sounds like a great bike, but I would look for 2012 brand new leftovers out the door for less than that price.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

Hello and welcome to the Forum, and to riding. I hope you find it enjoyable for years to come.
To be honest with you my friend, I would consider getting a fairly inexpensive older foreign bike to see if riding is for you. The reason I say this is because I have 3 friends who each thought of getting into riding. They went out ( against my advice) and bought very expensive rides, only to find out they did not get into it as much as myself. They turned around and sold them 1-2 years later and took a hit on their investment. Felt bad for them. Last year another friend took my advice and spent bout 3500 on a bike. Rode it for a year, loved it, and just recently purchased a 2012 Road King Classic( a good choice since I own a 2011, my 5th Harley and 25 motorcycle). I don't mean to deter you from your dream bike..a Harley is a great choice, but would not want to see another go through what I have seen others do. Hope this helps you out, and gather other opinions before you part with your hard earned money... Enjoy!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,025 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by wbsully1
Help! I'm an older (50's), larger (height and weight) new rider looking to buy my first bike!

Have always been a fan of the Road Glide, and have found a Road Glide Ultra. It's a 2011 with 38K miles. HD dealer selling, wants $19,500 no major cosmetic or mechanical issues. Daily rider who traded in for new Road Glide.

Good Price?
Good Bike?
Questions to ask?
Things to look for?

wbs
First off…great bike, but grossly overpriced.

Secondly, do you think that it might be a good idea to learn how to actually ride a motorcycle, before you go jumping on an 850lb Road Glide in traffic? I do.

Do yourself and everyone else on the road a huge favor, and learn the basic fundamentals of riding a motorcycle on a smaller metric bike (500-650cc). The learning curve will be much steeper, and you will be a better, safer rider as a result.

Once you have some experience on two wheels, you'll be able to move up to a bigger, heavier bike with confidence.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 206 Likes on 118 Posts

I too agree with buying an inexpensive bike to make sure you want to be exposed to all the crazies before dropping a bunch on a Harley.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by darkcustom48
Sorry. But that is way too much in my opinion. Sounds like a great bike, but I would look for 2012 brand new leftovers out the door for less than that price.
Agreed....you could almost get a new one for that.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that it sounds like the bike you are looking at may be overpriced. Be patient and the right one will show up.

Being a new rider, I would suggest that you seek out a beginning rider, basic riders course. Let them teach you the fundamentals of our great passion in the confines of a controlled environment, closed course. You don't have to own a bike to take the beginners courses. I know at the local university here, they teach the basic class on 250cc university owned mc's. I'm not talking about the classes that last a few hours in an evening. The good ones will take you a couple of days and several hours to complete. Also, invest in the "Ride Like A Pro" videos. Valuable reference tool!

If that is done, I disagree with the philosophy of the smaller metric bike. You stated that you are a bigger guy. You don't need a small bike for your stature and the bigger bikes handle just as easy as the small ones, done with the proper fundamentals and techniques that were learned in the riders course. Plus, they will have the power that you need to fit your size. I'm not saying you have to drop a bundle of cash on a new Harley, but get something that fits you. And, if it's something that you are proud to be riding, you are more likely to stay in the lifestyle.

Good luck on your search and be safe.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,025 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by stan60
If that is done, I disagree with the philosophy of the smaller metric bike. You stated that you are a bigger guy. You don't need a small bike for your stature and the bigger bikes handle just as easy as the small ones, done with the proper fundamentals and techniques that were learned in the riders course. Plus, they will have the power that you need to fit your size. I'm not saying you have to drop a bundle of cash on a new Harley, but get something that fits you. And, if it's something that you are proud to be riding, you are more likely to stay in the lifestyle.
This guy is a complete novice rider. He has zero experience on two wheels. He's not going to be transformed into Evel Knievel after a basic rider's course…I don't care how "great" the course or the instructor are. Riding in the real world is a lot different than weaving around a bunch of orange cones in a parking lot.

A big, heavy Road Glide (or any other heavy weight Harley, for that matter) is NOT just as easy to handle as a smaller metric bike would be, especially at his beginner skill level. That's not even taking into consideration "real world" riding conditions that he will have to deal with when he is out there in traffic with idiot car drivers. It will take a little time and experience to develop his riding skills, and the situational awareness necessary to stay safe, and gain confidence.

Once he has developed his skill set, and gained some actual real world riding experience on a lightweight, easily maneuverable bike, he will be able to transition to a larger, heavier bike much easier than he would as a complete novice starting on a Harley touring frame.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Evil Kneviel?? Really? The last time I went by and saw a class on the course, I never once saw where they put the ramps. Come on dude, I never said he would be an expert after the class. I said he would learn the fundamentals and hopefully come out with some sound basics to build on. I don't think I said that he would be ready to take on metro rush hour traffic either. Hopefully, this guy has enough sense to know when he's ready to take on more after spending some time on the country roads and highways in Arkansas. And I will still disagree with you that, with the proper technique, a cruiser is just as easy to handle as any other bike. It may be heavier, but that does not make it harder to handle.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
This guy is a complete novice rider. He has zero experience on two wheels. He's not going to be transformed into Evel Knievel after a basic rider's course…I don't care how "great" the course or the instructor are. Riding in the real world is a lot different than weaving around a bunch of orange cones in a parking lot.

A big, heavy Road Glide (or any other heavy weight Harley, for that matter) is NOT just as easy to handle as a smaller metric bike would be, especially at his beginner skill level. That's not even taking into consideration "real world" riding conditions that he will have to deal with when he is out there in traffic with idiot car drivers. It will take a little time and experience to develop his riding skills, and the situational awareness necessary to stay safe, and gain confidence.

Once he has developed his skill set, and gained some actual real world riding experience on a lightweight, easily maneuverable bike, he will be able to transition to a larger, heavier bike much easier than he would as a complete novice starting on a Harley touring frame.
+1

Would like to add... it's not so much the size/weight/power of the bike... it's spending $20k+ on something (that in all likelihood) a new rider is going to drop. It happens frequently to new riders... that's just the way it is. Not even talking about "wrecking" it... but we've all done it or seen it done... foot slips in a gravel lot... forget the kickstand... miss a shift in a tight low speed corner... yada yada yada...

Get yourself an old Roadstar or Vulcan or something... plenty big for your size... and plenty of power. Learn your newbie lessons on that before you get your "big boy bike".

Quick Reply: new rider seeking advice......