Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods that you regretted---

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
curious as to why you regret purchasing ohlins?
Because, while they rode better than the stock AIR SHOCKS on my 2012 street glide, they never impressed me $600 worth. And having to deal with and go through the whole experience with the crude, arrogant, and not as smart as he thinks he is, owner of the business that I bought them from, made me regret my purchase. And the name of the thread was Mods you've regretted.
Just a side note I have since traded for a 2019 street glide special and I while it could probably be made to ride better I think it rides as good as the 2-2bs did!! If I try another shock in the future it will probably be Pro-Action as I have heard of nobody saying anything negative about them or the people you have to deal with to purchase them.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:33 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Way, way back when I was in the auto parts business. I have toured shock absorber manufacturers. It is my considered opinion that a good shock can be manufactured with quality components and sold at a reasonable price without the usual hype and BS. I've heard too many people speak about the great shocks that they bought from so and so at such and such company and the guy they talked to on the phone built the shocks to perfectly fit the buyer's riding style, etc., etc., etc. and they paid a LOT of money for those shocks--of course a lot of what they paid for was the hype and BS. Again in my opinion, I call BS.

On my previous bike, a '13 RGC, once the crappy air shocks started leaking down so much I had to add air before every ride, I replaced them with the HD what they call their "Premium adjustables". A lot cheaper than a lot of name brand and highly regarded shocks so many folks speak of and you can buy the HD adjustables quite a bit cheaper than from your local neighborhood friendly Harley dealer by buying from one or more of the HD dealers that discount and advertise on the Internet. I adjusted the HD shocks a couple of times to get what is the best overall ride for me and I'm very pleased with them. So much so that a little over a year ago when I bought a garage queen '16 RGU I just went ahead and ordered the HD adjustables and put them on without waiting for the crappy air shocks to start leaking down.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not really a tight ***. But it is ridiculous what some companies charge for shocks, and even more ridiculous that so many people will pay those prices. In this regard, again my own personal opinion and YMMV, you DO NOT always get what you pay for.

The following 3 users liked this post by KYRGultra:
alarmdoug (03-16-2019), s-glide76 (01-05-2019), Softy 103 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:39 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KYRGultra
Way, way back when I was in the auto parts business. I have toured shock absorber manufacturers. It is my considered opinion that a good shock can be manufactured with quality components and sold at a reasonable price without the usual hype and BS. I've heard too many people speak about the great shocks that they bought from so and so at such and such company and the guy they talked to on the phone built the shocks to perfectly fit the buyer's riding style, etc., etc., etc. and they paid a LOT of money for those shocks--of course a lot of what they paid for was the hype and BS. Again in my opinion, I call BS.

On my previous bike, a '13 RGC, once the crappy air shocks started leaking down so much I had to add air before every ride, I replaced them with the HD what they call their "Premium adjustables". A lot cheaper than a lot of name brand and highly regarded shocks so many folks speak of and you can buy the HD adjustables quite a bit cheaper than from your local neighborhood friendly Harley dealer by buying from one or more of the HD dealers that discount and advertise on the Internet. I adjusted the HD shocks a couple of times to get what is the best overall ride for me and I'm very pleased with them. So much so that a little over a year ago when I bought a garage queen '16 RGU I just went ahead and ordered the HD adjustables and put them on without waiting for the crappy air shocks to start leaking down.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not really a tight ***. But it is ridiculous what some companies charge for shocks, and even more ridiculous that so many people will pay those prices. In this regard, again my own personal opinion and YMMV, you DO NOT always get what you pay for.
Totally totally agree with you. My 18 road King rides like a dream. I change that kind of ride on my 09 road King with progressive shocks and I could never get it right. Couldn't be happier with these stock shocks on the new bikes and I am by no means a lightweight

Old 12-22-2018, 10:06 AM
dlt6855
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Dynojet Power Commander , took a **** a month after warranty expired left me on side of road in Mesa Verde national park .

Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 AM
dunskit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down HOG Tunes ~ Not a good setup

Picked up Hog Tunes for the 2010 Ultra. Didnt do enough research before purchase. Really distorted sound quality when volume is above 50%. Waste of money. Upgrading this winter, and actually on the forum today to find a system that sounds good at all volume levels.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:21 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by dlt6855
Dynojet Power Commander , took a **** a month after warranty expired left me on side of road in Mesa Verde national park .
Shouldn't have ... it's a "Piggy Back" Tuner... just unplug the ECM connector from the PC, plug it back into the ECM (as original) and be on your way.

But if you didn't know what the problem was ...

Old 12-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Hogtune speakers in the fairing. I think the additional weight breaks stuff.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:44 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

(1) SE 258 cams They sucked a big one, "replaced with SE 259e cams."
(2) HD Marine corps Points cover " I caught a lot of **** because I was never in the corps". I bought it because I was proud of my son who was/is a Marine.
(3) LOUD Cobra exhaust system. "replaced with stock head pipes and stock 103 touring mufflers."
(4) There isn't a forth one "thank goodness cause the first three were expensive."

Old 12-22-2018, 07:55 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
(1) SE 258 cams They sucked a big one, "replaced with SE 259e cams."
(2) HD Marine corps Points cover " I caught a lot of **** because I was never in the corps". I bought it because I was proud of my son who was/is a Marine.
(3) LOUD Cobra exhaust system. "replaced with stock head pipes and stock 103 touring mufflers."
(4) There isn't a forth one "thank goodness cause the first three were expensive."

That's crap. They should be happy for your support, especially with your son. I've been designing a tattoo, but I am worried that people will take it as a sign I was in the military. I wasn't, so I don't want to give that impression. You don't have to be military to be patriotic.

[/hijack]

The following users liked this post:
bgdv1 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:48 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280Ruffian
That's crap. They should be happy for your support, especially with your son. I've been designing a tattoo, but I am worried that people will take it as a sign I was in the military. I wasn't, so I don't want to give that impression. You don't have to be military to be patriotic.

[/hijack]
"You don't have to be military to be patriotic" This is so true, but people forget that patriotism, is stronger than the guns.

Last edited by 6 gun; 12-23-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Mods that you regretted---