Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 103 w/ 57H Cams and Headwork advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 AM
SweeetHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 103 w/ 57H Cams and Headwork advice

I have a stock 2012 SG 103.
Im installing:

Rinehart Tru-Duals with 4" slips,
Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1 A/C,
PowerCommander-V
MILD headwork (cleaning up factory cast flaws, stock valve job, mild porting, w/ 30 degree backcut)

I was only going to do the exhaust ,stage 1 a/c & PC-V until hearing about a cam swap for the Andrews 57H's from the youtube video below which is from my local Harley Dealer. But now that the bike is all apart for powdercoating I was mulling it over to do some mild headwork as well. With my parts list above...whats my best route to take for cams after doing headwork. With the research ive done so far including sound advice from all of you...ive narrowed my dilema down to "Either" Andrews 57H or 54H cams with the mild headwork thats going to be done.

Im an X Rice Rocket guy from years ago and still like to bang through the gears at redline so my riding style is agressive. Im far from a leisurely rider. I have friends who are cut from the same cloth and have all ready made significant mods to their SG's in order to cure their craving for the adrenaline rush. After riding my stock Pepere bike for a season, im ready for the rush myself without wanting to do a Big Bore kit. I want to keep it 103, just headwork and cams and my RH tru duals. Please feel free to chime in with any advice that will be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I already have all the parts in hand including the 57H's so nows the time to return and swap for a better option before I install if need be. Pretty much narrowed it down to 57H's or 54H's ...any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for any advice.
TJ in Maine

Last edited by SweeetHemi; 01-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd just put the 57h cams in and run it for a while. Ya may be happy enough? But, If ya are gonna do headwork ya might as well up the cams, along with compression (oh yeah, pistons), to something like 54h/555 or some more like 67h/777. Problem is I don't think ya can raise the rev limit to really take advantage of the bigger cams and headwork with a pcv? Then there is the crank/bearing problem when ya start adding power.... These builds can escalate pretty fast, so ya really need to look at what ya want and want ya are willing to spend to get it. Ya ain't gonna get rice rocket performance out of a touring harley, so figure out where ya want to settle.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-14-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
petewerner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
If ya are gonna do headwork ya might as well up the cams, along with compression, to something like 54h/555 or some more like 67h/777. Problem is I don't think ya can raise the rev limit to really take advantage of the bigger cams and headwork with a pcv? Then there is the crank/bearing problem when ya start adding power.... These builds can escalate pretty fast, so ya really need to look at what ya want and want ya are willing to spend to get it. Ya ain't gonna get rice rocket performance out of a touring harley, so figure out where ya want to settle.
X2 Best to have a plan that is proven, something that has been done many times before and the out put is a known. Make your bike your own(read: different) in the looks department and build a motor that U won't have to get back into for 50K plus miles with your riding style.... I think I spent nearly enough to buy forced induction with my motor mods, and that was considered...
My redline is now 6250, raise with the Stage IV install by my dyno guy, Ryan at HDHD. Id love 250-500 more RPM's because my dyno sheet shows HP climbing pretty fast still and the Tq isn't falling to much yet. This is indicative of how it feels when drag racing in the first 3-4 gears when doing an all out test...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Well... If you're doing headwork and stick with Andrews cams, the 54H will be right in your compression sweet spot with a .030 head gasket. Very flexible cam, quiet and many happy users. The 57H is I think more for stock compression. I also believe the PCV does have the capability to bump up the red line. Does your dealer tune with the PCV ? Most H-D dealers stick to the SEPST device..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
SweeetHemi
Advanced

@ Oldhippie...Duly noted, I hear ya! Just didnt want to go that far as to doing a Bigbore kit. Figured their must be a great cam and headwork combo for the stock 103?

@ Pete...I couldnt agree more, thats why im here for advice. Best knowledge is proven knowledge!

@ Troop...Was looking at best cam scenario with headwork since im right there in the disassemble stage. I figured after seeing my local dealers youtube video (above) on the 57H's which made good gains, then the gains should be even better with headwork? I thought it would would be a no brainer. But as Im looking at it now, the 57H's are not the right cam if heads are being done..correct?? Your saying Andrews 54H is a better cam for my combo with headwork (port/polish/larger valves)?? Im not partial to Andrews either, I only went this route after seeing the above video...but now that Headwork has been thought of...Ive opened up a serious can of worms by the sounds of things!

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice,
TJ

Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeetHemi
@ Oldhippie...Duly noted, I hear ya! Just didnt want to go that far as to doing a Bigbore kit. Figured their must be a great cam and headwork combo for the stock 103?

@ Pete...I couldnt agree more, thats why im here for advice. Best knowledge is proven knowledge!

@ Troop...Was looking at best cam scenario with headwork since im right there in the disassemble stage. I figured after seeing my local dealers youtube video (above) on the 57H's which made good gains, then the gains should be even better with headwork? I thought it would would be a no brainer. But as Im looking at it now, the 57H's are not the right cam if heads are being done..correct?? Your saying Andrews 54H is a better cam for my combo with headwork (port/polish/larger valves)?? Im not partial to Andrews either, I only went this route after seeing the above video...but now that Headwork has been thought of...Ive opened up a serious can of worms by the sounds of things!

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice,
TJ
The 57H is Andrews bolt in cam which is designed to work well with the stock 9.6:1 compression, with a .030 head gasket it bumps the compression to around 10:1, the 54H would be a better choice for the higher CR IMO.
I'm just learning myself what works in these TC engines, but you do have options to work the combustion chambers to arrive at a static compression thats favorable with the 57H. The .030 head gaskets will offer a more favorable quench (piston at TDC to head surface), which in a steel rodded street engine your typically looking for around .04-.045.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're going to port your heads, and install bigger valves, you might as well bump up the compression to really take advantage of that. I'd return the 57s, and look at some of Bobby Woods cams. Call Big Boyz Head Porting, they're up in your part of the country. Talk to somebody that builds performance motors, and you'll get some useful advice. A lot of riders are focused on roll on torque at low rpms, and aren't too concerned about big horsepower. I want both. I built my motor out to 107 last winter, at 10.75 compression, and used Woods tw8 cams. I'm right on the ragged edge of being too much motor for the stock crank, but if that goes, I've got a 113 package sitting on the shelf, ready to install.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM
SweeetHemi
Advanced

Originally Posted by 68 Shovelking
The 57H is Andrews bolt in cam which is designed to work well with the stock 9.6:1 compression, with a .030 head gasket it bumps the compression to around 10:1, the 54H would be a better choice for the higher CR IMO.
I'm just learning myself what works in these TC engines, but you do have options to work the combustion chambers to arrive at a static compression thats favorable with the 57H. The .030 head gaskets will offer a more favorable quench (piston at TDC to head surface), which in a steel rodded street engine your typically looking for around .04-.045.
Shovelking:

Thats what Ive heard as well. 57H's are optimum for stock 103's. But now that ive decided to "MILD" headwork (Cleaning up factory cast flaws, mild porting, stock valves w/ low valve flow while increaing flow and valve lift. 30 degree back cut, 45 degree seat (70/45/33 seat angles). Basically cleaning up the stock heads, just making them flow better to give their optimum performance)

So now knowing the heads will basically be stock, just cleaned up and mildly ported, my dilema is between picking the right cams for optimum perfomance. 57H are proven to work well without touching heads. Im cleaning my heads for better flow then stock...should I still opt for the 54H's. I hear great reviews on both 57H's & 54H's.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
SweeetHemi
Advanced

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
If you're going to port your heads, and install bigger valves, you might as well bump up the compression to really take advantage of that. I'd return the 57s, and look at some of Bobby Woods cams. Call Big Boyz Head Porting, they're up in your part of the country. Talk to somebody that builds performance motors, and you'll get some useful advice. A lot of riders are focused on roll on torque at low rpms, and aren't too concerned about big horsepower. I want both. I built my motor out to 107 last winter, at 10.75 compression, and used Woods tw8 cams. I'm right on the ragged edge of being too much motor for the stock crank, but if that goes, I've got a 113 package sitting on the shelf, ready to install.
boogaloodude,

Im not doing extensive headwork. Just a mild port with a stock valve job and cleaning up casting flaws to make these stock heads flow better. at first I was just doing exhaust, a/c and tuner..then decided on 57H's with my stock heads and motor. But the more days that pass waiting for my powder coating to get back I kept leaning towards cleaning the heads while im only a few bolts away. My goal would be to Clean and mild port the heads, do a nice valve job, throw in a set of .030 gaskets, install SE adjustable pushrods and the 57H's and have mild gains towards the upper 90's in HP and somewhere around 100tq. I dont think Ill hit the 100 club but im hoping to hang with the pack.

I just cant decide on which cam is best..57H or 54H this build.

Thanks for your input,
Tj from Maine

Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM
SweeetHemi
Advanced

Sorry if Ive confused anyone. Ive just realized you all may be thinking im doing extensive headwork. The headwork will be mild and consist of cleaning up factory casting flaws, mild porting with stock valves and a 30 degree back cut. Virtually stock heads cleaned up to maximize flow with .030 gaskets on a stock 103 SG with Rinehart Tru Duals, Ness Big Sucker stage 1 a/c & a PC-V tuner.

Now with that being said, I still need to decide on the best cams for the build. I already have Andrews 57H's in hand but some are saying to go with the 54H's since there will be some headwork involved?...any advice on which would cams would be best?

Thanks in advance!
TJ from Maine

Quick Reply: Stock 103 w/ 57H Cams and Headwork advice