Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wimmer Compression Releases

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,650 Likes on 3,410 Posts

The mechanic told me he just uses a lot of grease on the drill bit for the tiny hole that actually goes through to the combustion chamber and on the tap in the bigger part of the hole...Has worked fine for the past 2000 miles... something might go wrong later down the road but at 75000 miles i can blame it on a **** load of different things also... If i start to worry about this hell i might as well sell it...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go to the manufacturers page rather than just a vendor page you get lots more information.
Doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal. Looks like they use a longer spark plug so that is not a issues.
http://wimmercycle.com/?page_id=1094
And a YouTube video

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
If you go to the manufacturers page rather than just a vendor page you get lots more information.
Doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal. Looks like they use a longer spark plug so that is not a issues.
http://wimmercycle.com/?page_id=1094
And a YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86LHZEjsGSI
Looking at the close up of the CR on the plug, there's not much thread showing on the plug, so it doesn't look like the plug thread is longer then a stock plug. Looks like a hole and valley are drilled into the threaded portion for the compression release and that appears to be the only modification. With that being said, one plug would be located further into the head compared to the CR plug. Would that affect anything????????????????????????????????

Attached Thumbnails Wimmer Compression Releases-ez-release-1-150x150.jpg  

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 01-31-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,650 Likes on 3,410 Posts

I think i would rather have them drilled n tapped...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Looking at the close up of the CR on the plug, there's not much thread showing on the plug, so it doesn't look like the plug thread is longer then a stock plug. Looks like a hole and valley are drilled into the threaded portion for the compression release and that appears to be the only modification. With that being said, one plug would be located further into the head compared to the CR plug. Would that affect anything????????????????????????????????
A longer plug will have to be used otherwise the electrode won't protrude into the combustion chamber and the spark will be shrouded by the bottom of the plug hole. Will a longer plug have an impact on the ion sensing KR function?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
A longer plug will have to be used otherwise the electrode won't protrude into the combustion chamber and the spark will be shrouded by the bottom of the plug hole. Will a longer plug have an impact on the ion sensing KR function?
I believe your correct and I'm wondering if there was any long term real world testing done on these releases. Pricey but if there's no negative side affects, it's a lot easier then pulling heads.

I'll see what the company has to say about the plug length issue.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Site says " simply replace your spark plug with the same type plug that we modify to work with our release banjo "
Kit is one release and one plug for $150, additional spark plug is $25

Last edited by icebite1; 01-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by icebite1
Site says " simply replace your spark plug with the same type plug that we modify to work with our release banjo "
Kit is one release and one plug for $150, additional spark plug is $25
We know what's included, the problem is you have one plug further in the head then the CR plug. That may be a big issue with the newer bikes and the sensors/ECM. I checked and found no evaluations of the product on the net. I guess easy is not always the best way.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
We know what's included, the problem is you have one plug further in the head then the CR plug. That may be a big issue with the newer bikes and the sensors/ECM. I checked and found no evaluations of the product on the net. I guess easy is not always the best way.
The way I read it is they send you a plug to compensate for that. Call them and ask I guess.

Last edited by icebite1; 02-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 207 Likes on 119 Posts

Screw it...I'm ordering one...I'll update when it comes in.

Quick Reply: Wimmer Compression Releases