Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously thinking bout a fairing on my RK

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCruise
Don't Do It !! That bike is too nice just as it is.
You might consider getting paint matched Vented lowers with CVO speakers and change your saddlebags to hard bags W/OEM Speaker lids, I-phone.
SC
Oh guys all of you I totally respect your opinons....I do plan on in another two years trading my bike for a newer one. I am thinking this one out in my head dollar wise if it is worth it.

Now suncruise you made me think in anew direction...it would be cheaper. I test rode the CVO RK and plugged in my ipod and it cranked! I forgot about that till now and even if I sell in two years selling hard bags is cake.
And skratch yeah you are right on that. I love music and the ear buds are just a pain in the ***. I would like to trade my bike before 2015 that is when my exteneded warrany runs out$$$$

Last edited by HDBRATT; 02-16-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I went with a Reckless XL Fairing on my RKC to extend my riding season. It pushes more wind away from me, especially my hands when it's cold outside.
Come spring it's off, and it's the 'King again.
Versatile, indeed.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fairing is progression, I did that after several years and like the fact I can take it off and ride it like the first few years I had the RK and did the first year I bought my dragonfly but, but since then I added a amp and the hd speaker lids and its not coming off anytime soon. If you are planning on trading in a couple years you should be able to sell your fairing you buy to the next person wanting to do the same to their RK. In the end we all age and end up with a ultra

Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shakrr...True Dat

Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,238 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
in a couple years you should be able to sell your fairing you buy to the next person wanting to do the same to their RK.
Originally Posted by shredder22
Shakrr...True Dat
not the way i would go imo. i paid over $2k for my fairing and all the associated audio gear. when i decided to go to the roadglide, i took out the amp and the headunit (amp on this bike, headunit in the truck) and sold the fairing with the speakers for $400. took a huge loss on it. if you know you're going to trade, i wouldn't spend the money then. either trade earlier than anticipated, or stick with the earbuds until that time.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to trade in, don't bother just wait it out.

If your keeping her, I most highly recommend Dead Center Cycles fairing. They are the best quality and service bar none.

I have heard horror stories of many of the others, "never" from Dead Center.

Are any of the others lockable and quick dis-connectable? Dead Center "IS" both so you wont' be screwing up your classic bike and can keep the fairing if you sell the bike and get some of your money out of it on either selling it separate or just reuse it on another bike in the future.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
snarl16
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the guys with amps, how did you do your wiring? I have also been looking at detachable fairings but have found very little as far as 8 gauge quick detach plugs for amps.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 644 Likes on 512 Posts

i started on a rk after a few years and doing more and more long road trips i added up the cost of fairing radio lowers and paint,then traded in for a new ultra. as far as wiring most amps will work just fine with 10 gauge power and ground .

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

My wife bought me one off ebay for an anniversary gift last November. I threw it on once and it took me what seemed like forever to get it on and I broke it doing it! I was pissed! Really thin fiberglass and the fit and finish suck ***** so right now I have it all cut apart for fiberglass repairs and I'm redesigning the inner fairing because I didn't like what he had done and how he had done it. While I had it on for a test ride I was impressed with how much of the never ending Wyoming hurricane it blocked out. It was awesome! It will remain a quick detach but I don't see ever taking it off once I get it done and on there.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's my 2010 vivid black Road King Classic with a Dragon Fly fairing. the detachable fairings are just that,detachable. take it off when you want to ride without, Its your bike, beautiful color I might add. For those who talk about nostalgic, really? The leather bags are leathered covered abs. I had such a great time building this bike I bought a 49 indian chief box o parts for my next project.
enjoy making it yours.

Quick Reply: Seriously thinking bout a fairing on my RK