Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heated floorboards, MoCo pay attention!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heated floorboards, MoCo pay attention!!

us Florida boys don't handle the cold weather too well. being in far north Florida (Jacksonville) the temps have been freezing or way too close to freezing fortoomany days. The MoCo already provides heated grips and heated seats as an option, but notta for heated floor boards. So for the last two months Ihave been experimenting with "heated floorboards". What I can't figure out is why some of you way far north members (Bountyhunter and other "North of the Border" folks) haven'tcracked this nut already. At any rate here comes Yankee Ingenuity to the rescue.

Notbeing an electronic whiz kid or anything close, I have been forced to rely on trial and error, and error, and even more error. I started out withthe basicheating element utilized in a compact spaceheater and went from there, but the amperage required and the AC to DC conversion issues was/iskicking my butt (besides it looks a bit bulky and out of place).I think I'malmost there but am still having reliability/practicalityissues with sustained power sources.

I'm not trying to patent anything, justtrying to share a reasonable solution to a common problem. freezing temperatures and feet.Is thisjust another bone headed idea or something others are interested in. If so I'll try to post a pic of what the prototype looks like.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: heated floorboards, MoCo pay attention!!

Invest in a good pair of boots and chuck them sandals and sneakers.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Heated socks...only way to go!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I'll be getting the heated gear (socks, jacket liner, pants) for those cold days.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:48 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need for heated floor boards when you can just place a small order to gerbing.... and get the hook-up.. Socks, pant liner, jacket liner, gloves, dual controller... All= toasty!!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be off base here, but how about just getting a pair of electric socks, cheaper and probably warmer. besides when the wife curls up in front of you on a cold winter night and puts her cold butt against your *****, you can get double service out of the socks.
Of course you need to be sure to get a pair big enough for expansion if you know what I mean.

I don't think moco will do it. I don't think you could generate enough heat to pass through the shoe leather to do much good.

Sure do like Jack and coke helps me think up good things!
ORIGINAL: oley55

us Florida boys don't handle the cold weather too well. being in far north Florida (Jacksonville) the temps have been freezing or way too close to freezing fortoomany days. The MoCo already provides heated grips and heated seats as an option, but notta for heated floor boards. So for the last two months Ihave been experimenting with "heated floorboards". What I can't figure out is why some of you way far north members (Bountyhunter and other "North of the Border" folks) haven'tcracked this nut already. At any rate here comes Yankee Ingenuity to the rescue.

Notbeing an electronic whiz kid or anything close, I have been forced to rely on trial and error, and error, and even more error. I started out withthe basicheating element utilized in a compact spaceheater and went from there, but the amperage required and the AC to DC conversion issues was/iskicking my butt (besides it looks a bit bulky and out of place).I think I'malmost there but am still having reliability/practicalityissues with sustained power sources.

I'm not trying to patent anything, justtrying to share a reasonable solution to a common problem. freezing temperatures and feet.Is thisjust another bone headed idea or something others are interested in. If so I'll try to post a pic of what the prototype looks like.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
maximus
Cruiser

I do ride in the 20's with my Gerbings gear but haven't found it necessary to buy the equipment for anything below my waist. My hands were in pain but my feet have always stayed relatively comfortable with good woolen socks and quality boots.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
oley55
Road Captain

OK, since no one asked, here's a pic of my prototype heated floorboards...gheez.........I thought for sure I would set the hook in at least a couple of youfrozen cabin fever guys. I stand personally embarrassed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19986/85DF43ADF53F48CDBF2F1B869B5D160A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need a set of leather lowers to keep the wind from blowing your heat away.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: maximus

My hands were in pain but my feet have always stayed relatively comfortable with good woolen socks and quality boots.
I agree with maximus. As far as Yankee ingenuity, this Vermonter uses the front jug as a glove warmer. It's easy to find and all ya have to do is put your palm on the side and wrap your fingers around the front. It takes about 10 seconds for the heat to get to the hand! No reason for a Harley rider to have cold hands. Caution: warm one hand at a time when the bike is in motion.

Quick Reply: heated floorboards, MoCo pay attention!!