Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can one get 100hp from 204's in a 103

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you say you don't believe in running high test gasoline. i would think that a modified engine would certainly benefit from higher octane.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
you say you don't believe in running high test gasoline. i would think that a modified engine would certainly benefit from higher octane.
Since I insured the bike this season Dan I've run high test solely. I can't tell one bit of difference the way the bike runs or increased mpg's over mid-grade. I'll continue to use high test just in case I'm hurting something inside and don't realize it.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joker65
As stated, you need to find the right cams to start. Don likes the T-man 555 cams, but for the $360 price tag, you can find a much better cam. The T-man 590 is a killer!

Also, the 204 is a great cam, and runs very strong, but why are you running it at 215 psi?? It seems you're defeating your goal.
Make sure your set-up matches what you're trying to do with the bike/riding style.
At that compression, you might want to run the S&S 585's if you're looking for Hp and strong Tq.

But again, why even worry about "Numbers" on a strong running bike? Who are you trying to impress?

As stated above, Hp is overrated...
Well put Joker. Good advice. As I said before the mechanic mentioned his gauge might be off a bit, it has to be because the bike runs pretty good for that high of ccp. If I knew the build would've netted me that amount of compression, (wasn't my choice, that's just where the components ended up at), I would've definitely chosen a bigger set of cams. Just for an example on top end, a lady with a kid in car seat left the stop light on a 60 mph multi lane highway the other day. She was in a late model Tourag. I don't know how spunky VW's are but I would assume I was just about wound out on the grip to keep up with here until 60-65 mph when she must've locked in her cruise. I can barely keep up with my friends 1200 Sportster with just a Stage 1 kit in it, (I know weight comes into effect there).

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Well put Joker. Good advice. As I said before the mechanic mentioned his gauge might be off a bit, it has to be because the bike runs pretty good for that high of ccp. If I knew the build would've netted me that amount of compression, (wasn't my choice, that's just where the components ended up at), I would've definitely chosen a bigger set of cams. Just for an example on top end, a lady with a kid in car seat left the stop light on a 60 mph multi lane highway the other day. She was in a late model Tourag. I don't know how spunky VW's are but I would assume I was just about wound out on the grip to keep up with here until 60-65 mph when she must've locked in her cruise. I can barely keep up with my friends 1200 Sportster with just a Stage 1 kit in it, (I know weight comes into effect there).
Can I ask... where are you shifting?

I know my bike runs strongest between 2800-3200 RPMs, but will carry out well past 4000 if I'm running it hard/racing the motor.
When I had the S&S 585s, it ran smooth and strong all the way to 5000+, though I never ran it there... but I could've easily!
I've seen people on here talk about shifting at 2200 RPMs regularly, and that's just insanely low.

Just curious...

Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joker65
Can I ask... where are you shifting?

I know my bike runs strongest between 2800-3200 RPMs, but will carry out well past 4000 if I'm running it hard/racing the motor.
When I had the S&S 585s, it ran smooth and strong all the way to 5000+, though I never ran it there... but I could've easily!
I've seen people on here talk about shifting at 2200 RPMs regularly, and that's just insanely low.

Just curious...
I don't know where I shift in all honesty. I've probably never hit 5k winding it out but I don't tend to short shift very often. I know she lugs right down and runs smooth down low. I do shift to 5th at 48, and 6th at 60 under most level conditions.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dene, you would likely get a big increase in hp and torque if you were to change out the true dual headers. vance & hines and jackpot/fuelmoto both have a great 2 into 1 into 2 pipe and you'd benefit greatly with that type of header setup with the mufflers you are currently using. i think you're using the monster rounds of something similar. i didn't catch what sort of tuning device you're using, so i have to re-read your comments. jim.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM
mrajf
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but as I'm new to the forum I don't think I'm able to PM anyone yet.

My name is Alex and I have a 2016 FXDL 103 HO, running A SE stage 1 teardrop AC, SE204 cams with 1.725 SE rockers and Bassani Road Rage short megaphone with the standard loud baffle.

I live in Sydney and my tuner and I are struggling to get the best out of the 204/1.725 rocker setup as 204's don't seem to have any popularity here and therefore very little tuning knowledge compared to the US.

I know that EMWOLB and TNHERITAGE are running similar setups to mine and making great curves (I'm not hung up on the numbers as such, just the shape of the curves) and was hoping to appeal to those users to see if they could help me out with copies of their tunes so my tuner and I can see where if anywhere we are going wrong. My tuner is an experienced HD tech, very knowledgable and willing to work with me to maximise my setup, we just don't have any previous experience with these cams.

Any other help or advice would be appreciated and I've attached a copy of my dyno sheet for viewing.

Cheers,
Alex

Attached Thumbnails Can one get 100hp from 204's in a 103-img_0125.png  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
with my recent build i'm at 103 horsepower and 114.81 ft lbs of torque with the 204 cams. we used the s.e. high ratio rockers, forged rocker supports, vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe, s.e. factory ported heads, adjustable pushrods, s.e. pro super tuner and the 204's are great cams and they don't drop off the torque at 3k rpm's like the 255's. nor are they peaky like the 259e's. i'm really pleased with how my build worked out. if anyone cares to see my dyno sheet, i haven't a clue as to how to post it, so p.m. me and i'll gladly email you a copy of it. include your email cause that's the only way i'd figure out how to send it.
my 255s crack 100tq at 2200 and dont come down below it until 4500. Just sayin