Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing Condensation in the Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM
jcannady
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Preventing Condensation in the Speedometer

A couple of months ago I got a new 2013 FLHR and after swapping out the handlebars (heritage-style) and a new seat (mustang wide tripper) it's close to perfect. I'll make it perfect in a couple of months with stage 1.

I traded in an 09 FXDB. I also bought that bike new. About two years after I got it I noticed condensation in the speedometer. Tried several things but it never went away. I have to say that I noticed it first soon after I removed the bib for the first time to replace the fuel gauge or something. I probably was also a little aggressive with the washing. Still, having only owned rice-burners before the street bob and never having any problem like that, it was pretty annoying.

I want to try to prevent that from happening to the new baby. Any advice?

Jim

Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Not sure how you prevent it, but my two Softails have the same problem when the humidity is very high. A sunny dry day eliminates the condensation. SJ Ron

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Harley claims that its gauges are not intended to be sealed units. Their correction is to park the bike with the gauges facing in the direct sunlight. Although this does dry them out, eventually the constant wetting and drying will leave water stains and marks on the inside of the gauge glass. In my case I've always switched my gauges with Dakota Digital and never had issues again. However, with my Street Glide, I really like the look of the silver analog gauges. I've been looking for someone to either clean and seal my current gauges or I'm going to switch to the white Medallions which give you the option of a one time odometer set. This way you can set it to the correct mileage.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 1,310 Posts

If you park your RK in the sun, the rays warm the air in the speedo, then in the evening when it cools, it draws in new air that contains moisture. It is like a broken seal on a thermopane window. The water condenses on the lens as it cools first.

Once the seal is broken, the best way to reduce condensation is to cover the speedo when you park the bike. This could be as simple as a cloth or bandana, a piece of leather, just to keep the lens from acting as a green house and heating the air and parts of the speedo.

If you are getting your condensation after a ride in a horrendous rain storm, taping on a piece of plastic wrap may keep the water from running in around the lens/bezel seal. On a sporty I own, I had to run a tiny bead and push it in with my finger around the bezel gasket to seal it as it always got condensation when I rode in a heavy rain, now it doesn't.

But, if you are not riding in the rain, condensation builds up over time from parking it in the sun and cooling each evening until there is enough to eventually condense on the lens. Try covering your speedo lens and see if that takes care of the issue.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this exact problem on a steamy day in So Cal. It has got so bad that you cant read the tacho. However once it sits over night it clears right up and then I dont have the issue again for a few months until the humidity is right and it rears its head again.
I just put it down as part of owning a HD!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I had the same problem on my Softail. Got so bad that there were waterspots inside the speedo. I took it apart (which it's not really designed for), cleaned it and put it back together. Been fine ever since and that was about six or seven years ago.

In my Limited there are six gauges. One of the six, the fuel gauge, gets condensation in it. The other five are fine. If and when the fuel gauge gets to the point that it's always cloudy I'll do the same thing and take it apart.

I think it's BS that HD won't replace these gauges under warranty. If they all leaked that would be one thing. But when some do and some don't, that tells me that their assembly process needs better control to eliminate/minimize the variation between units.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

someone also said try replacing the bulbs with led's. as they don't run so hot. is this a problem only on the newer bikes that have the lights on all the time, as i have a 92 heritage that doesn't do this. my 2012 streetglide has not done it yet, but notihing would surpise me.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My RK does it every time I wash it. And quite often while riding.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I notice mine does it on a warm day when I fill up the gas tank. I've just learned to live with it. It goes away, but its annoying when its there.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
jcannady
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. I'll try to be more careful this time around. I do find it pretty stupid that HD doesn't do something about this. Buying a new RK and having to replace the handlebars because the stock ones were designed for knuckle-draggers is one thing, but water in the speedometer? That's not a feature, it's a design flaw. Kinda like the paint that scratches from just breathing on it. I had a Kawasaki Vulcan before my street bob, and you could just about wash the paint with sandpaper. It was extremely tough. And no condensation in the speedometer. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to be a two-time HD owner in general, but stuff like this is just dumb.

Quick Reply: Preventing Condensation in the Speedometer