Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit

After much searching and homework on an extra source of light from behind, and riding with a few friends with different set ups, I decided on the HD spoiler-light kit. Just wondering if anyone has any tips that are learned while doing the actual install. "They say experience is something you gain about a minute after you actually needed it". I have some time before it arrives and we had snow and 28 degrees yesterday and today. I do have the premium luggage rack and the HD three row bag in the lid set up. Any and all input is appreciated.
EDIT: I do have the run turn brake module with the red turn signal lenses already, good catch rshwetz. I am all about being seen. Precious cargo on that back seat very often with either wife or son.
Kris

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 04-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM
rshwetz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put in the kit that changes the signal lights to brake lights. L - R signals light up like brake lights, and work as normal. And the light kit for the spoiler is not very bright, but looks good at night.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

It's a pretty simple straight forward install. The hardest part is feeding the wires through the post. They give you a nice leader/pull wire to use that helps. Other than that, it's pretty simple and the directions are good. I had one on my last ultra and loved the look and safety of it. It puts an extra brake light at eye level with the cars behind you.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you made up your mind 100% on the Harley spoiler light. I installed one from Ride Time Technology that looks and works awesome. It can be configured as run/brake/turn and it sells for $91.95. I've had it for about a year and am glad I bought it instead of the spoiler light bar - much cleaner look.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rshwetz
Put in the kit that changes the signal lights to brake lights. L - R signals light up like brake lights, and work as normal. And the light kit for the spoiler is not very bright, but looks good at night.
Yep sorry should have mentioned that. I have the run turn brake kit and red lenses already. good call.
Kris

Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed the spoiler/lamp on my RGU, was pretty straight forward except the wiring as mine had the LED side TP lights already installed. If yours is set up with those you will need a splitter cord set up on the three terminal plug already in the box. I just bought the terminals and male/female plugs from the dealer and used a section of the new lamp pigtail to build my own. Do wish I had moved it a little closer to the TP Rack as it rubs the left antenna when opening.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit-dsc03169.jpg   Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit-dsc03171.jpg   Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit-dsc03172.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The kit comes with a template that uses the rear top edges of the lid for reference pints for no luggage rack, etc Like other times the tour pak or saddlebag lid is drilled, paintrs' tape, etc.

Electrically, your Ultra already has the necessary wiring inside the tour pak, so you won't need the kit's harness that uses the accessory connector under the seat. Since my TP was detachable, I wanted as few connections outside the TP as possible and simply cut the supplied harness and spliced it into the existing ground/run/brake circuits inside the fairing.

I was fortunate that a tech at the dealership gave me a Y-harness from the Air Wing luggag rack kit and I bought the mating parts for it. You can accomplish the same with simple splices. Also, the accessory connector was already used for Motolights on my bike.

IMO, HD uses the lengthy harness to the accessory connector becaus Road Kings son't have the tour pak harness that the fairing models have.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pm sent

Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baffler1
pm sent
PM replied and thanks again to all for their input.
Kris

Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

measure 3 times and drill slow with very little preasure and a sharp bit

Quick Reply: Anyone who has installed the tour pak spoiler-light kit