Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

now i know i need apes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 AM
slimvela
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now i know i need apes...

All I did was adjust my bars up a little and what a difference. I'm convinced. So next on my list is a set of apes that put my hands just under top of the fairing.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley 12" mini-apes.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by slimvela
All I did was adjust my bars up a little and what a difference. I'm convinced. So next on my list is a set of apes that put my hands just under top of the fairing.

Any suggestions?
They're ugly at the best of times but at least you're smart enough to buy bars that keep your hands behind the batwing. I don't know how people can corner with huge apes and not crack up. I went with Heritage style bars on my RK and they made a huge improvement like you'll probably find. Just don't go crazy.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:09 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Any suggestions?
Well, what are you putting them on? Fairing? No fairing? Pics man, pics!!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,445 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
They're ugly at the best of times but at least you're smart enough to buy bars that keep your hands behind the batwing. I don't know how people can corner with huge apes and not crack up. I went with Heritage style bars on my RK and they made a huge improvement like you'll probably find. Just don't go crazy.
To each his/her own. Apparently people with huge apes dont crack up on corners, so whats the issue.

Measure for comfort and buy what you need. Whats the fairing got to do with it?

"well, I still have back/shoulder pain, but at least my wittle fingies dont catch air above the fairing, omg!"

Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM
slimvela
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not goin crazy on the height, don't like the look on batwings. That and I like my shoulders...ha ha.

Digging the Klockwerks offerrings, looking for function over style. After all, it's my commuter/tourer...no hobbyist here gents. 6 days a week

Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with 10 inch LA chopper twin peaks.

Pushed all the way forward they were right at top of fairing. I didn't like the feel so I have them pulled back now and like them much better. Just did a 4 day 2000 mile trip and the were very comfortable.

Pulled back

Pushed forward more

Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,445 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Not goin crazy on the height, don't like the look on batwings. That and I like my shoulders...ha ha.

Digging the Klockwerks offerrings, looking for function over style. After all, it's my commuter/tourer...no hobbyist here gents. 6 days a week
Sure thing, I just think people are way too timid about the height of apes.

I'm 5'-10", I had 14"s on my Road King, about even with my shoulders, and I did many 600 mile days on that, I would have been crippled with Heritage bars.

I have 12.5"s on my Road Glide now thinking it might make it a bit easier for slow speed maneuvers but I regret it, should have stayed with 14"s.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,080 Likes on 1,772 Posts

KW 2+2's

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

[quote=Keithhu;11195972]To each his/her own. Apparently people with huge apes dont crack up on corners, so whats the issue.

No issue rarely see them when we tour so I can't imagine they would be the least bit comfortable or have any sense of control in the twisties or parking lots. I've never riden a bike with them so can't speak from experience however Keith.

Measure for comfort and buy what you need. Whats the fairing got to do with it?

He (original poster), said he's got fairing and the bars that he wants keeps his hands below them which I agree is good and will still look alright.

Quick Reply: now i know i need apes...