Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Backing Plate w/ HD Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FM Backing Plate w/ HD Cover

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-cleaner-cover

Would anyone know if the Fuel Moto solid billet backing plate for the TBW bikes works with the above HD billet air filter cover above?

After sucking in water over the weekend with my open element filter, I need to protect the filter from future rain storms.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If it attaches to the filter via a single hex bolt then you're good to go. I have the Fuel Moto backing plate and filter.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If it attaches to the filter via a single hex bolt then you're good to go. I have the Fuel Moto backing plate and filter.
I'm just wondering about the cut outs on the cover in the area where the rubber hoses exit the breather blocks.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I'm just wondering about the cut outs on the cover in the area where the rubber hoses exit the breather blocks.

Maybe I don't have a complete grasp of what you're asking. I use the Fuel Moto backing plate on a 2011 Road King. I have the holes for the breather vent hoses in the backing plate blocked with high temp silicone. The breather bolts themselves have 3/8 id fuel line on each one going down to a T fitting below the air filter. From the T is one hose that goes to the ground. The whole thing is topped off with a stock air cleaner cover with no plastic backing.

In looking at the link you provided I see MORE room than what the stock cover would cover. If that makes sense.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Maybe I don't have a complete grasp of what you're asking. I use the Fuel Moto backing plate on a 2011 Road King. I have the holes for the breather vent hoses in the backing plate blocked with high temp silicone. The breather bolts themselves have 3/8 id fuel line on each one going down to a T fitting below the air filter. From the T is one hose that goes to the ground. The whole thing is topped off with a stock air cleaner cover with no plastic backing.

In looking at the link you provided I see MORE room than what the stock cover would cover. If that makes sense.
If the end of the hoses going into your backing plate are kept even with the backing plate, there is no need for the vent hose to the ground. The blow by runs into the TB and not onto the air filter. When I first installed mine, I had the tubes sticking out about 1/4" past the plate and the oil dripped onto my filter. Since making them even with the plate, no more drips.

On the stock HD cover, the breather bolts are completely surrounded by the cover. On the billet one, the breather bolts and their covering are not covered as you can see from the picture I attached.

I guess I will have to wait until it arrives to determine if it's going to fit or not. If not, I guess a Dremal and some black powder coating will be in order...

Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

The whole idea of my set up is to make sure the water and oil mist ISN'T run back into the throttle body/intake. Moisture from oil heating up isn't combustible and the oil mist makes the intake charge less combustible.

I'm pretty sure the cover will fit. Let me know how you make out.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After sucking in water over the weekend with my open element filter, I need to protect the filter from future rain storms.
Why not use a rain sock? I have the FM stage 1 and a HD round filter cap. I also have a HD rain sock that can be installed under the cap or just slid over the whole breather.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2manytoys
Why not use a rain sock? I have the FM stage 1 and a HD round filter cap. I also have a HD rain sock that can be installed under the cap or just slid over the whole breather.
I have one on there, in heavy stop n go traffic over the weekend, I could see the water pooling up on top of the filter element and some of it must have gotten sucked in because my idle was all over the place numerous when I had to stop for traffic. Once on the open road, no more issues but I'm a pro-active guy and have decided to get a closed filter cover for future wet weather adventures.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one on there, in heavy stop n go traffic over the weekend, I could see the water pooling up on top of the filter element and some of it must have gotten sucked in because my idle was all over the place numerous when I had to stop for traffic. Once on the open road, no more issues but I'm a pro-active guy and have decided to get a closed filter cover for future wet weather adventures.
Oh great! I haven't been in that situation. Something else ill have to keep my eye on but good to know. Thanks