Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!

The wife and I drove the car out from SC to see her and the grand daughters in Colorado Springs. It's the first time we have seen them since they left AL last year. SiL is career AF stationed at the Academy. The daughter said she had a surprise for me when we got here. I've been in Pueblo many times and always wanted to ride through the mountains. So when we get here she hands me a rental certificate from Pikes Peak HD and says "Have fun". I went Monday and picked out a Softtail Heritage. Dawn (the waaaay nice girl at PP that handles rentals) said pick out whatever you want, no matter the cert was for a Dyna/Softtail. Like I said, waaaaay nice.

We took off south down I25 to the Rye/Colorado City exit. Headed up 165 through the San Isabel Forest. This is me somewhere on that road.
Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!-me-in-colorado.jpg

We had the road pretty much to our selves. Took 165 to 69, turned left towards Silver Cliff and Westcliff. Kinda one town with 2 names. Had lunch at the Miners Store Cafe. Left there and turned right onto 69. Again, pretty much deserted. Snow capped mountains on the left and empty road in front.

Stayed on 69 to Texas Creek where we picked up 50 South to Canon City. The wife wanted to go to the winery at the Abbey, a recommended stop if you're in the area. We left there and headed back North on 50 and turned right on 9. Rode towards Cripple Creek but turned off onto High Park Rode towards Florissant. Picked up 24 in Florrisant over through Woodland Park and back down into Colorado Springs.

All together about 300 miles. I was surprised at how well the Softtail performed. Very comfortable and handled nicely through the twisties. I never considered the Heritage a "Touring" bike, but I've changed my mind. If the chance arises I wouldn't mind having one in the garage.

Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!-hwy-9.jpg

Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!-lonely-road.jpg

Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!-hwy-50.jpg

This is a pic of the wife with Pikes Peak in the background. She didn't have much good to say about her seating. Of course, she's used to her throne on the Road Glide.
Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!-dianne.jpg

All in all, a helluva day. I can't say enough good things about the folks at Pikes Peak HD. And I have an AWESOME daughter.

Last edited by d-streetglidr; 06-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds like a great trip - I was just back at PPHD to say goodbye to some friends there; I'd lived in COS for the past 20 years and just finally moved back east. Coincidentally, I rented a RK from them last fall that planted the Harley itch in me that I finally scratched this spring.

Beautiful riding, and what a thoughtful gift! Thanks for sharing your pics...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,114 Likes on 21,557 Posts

Nice present!!
Did-ya do Garden of the Gods?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great roads out here but dont tell anyone! Glad you had a great time, next time give me a yell and I'll have a cup of coffee with ya!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
bebowebb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent Father's Day gift and trip!

Sounds (and looks) like a great ride.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds and looks like a great day ride. I was in Colorado last summer for a week riding around and am always ready to go back.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats an awsome present. Looks like a nice ride you went on. Cant wait to wake Big Red up from her slumber after I get done sucking sand, lol.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Cool story

Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by d-roadglidr
The wife and I drove the car out from SC to see her and the grand daughters in Colorado Springs. It's the first time we have seen them since they left AL last year. SiL is career AF stationed at the Academy. The daughter said she had a surprise for me when we got here. I've been in Pueblo many times and always wanted to ride through the mountains. So when we get here she hands me a rental certificate from Pikes Peak HD and says "Have fun". I went Monday and picked out a Softtail Heritage. Dawn (the waaaay nice girl at PP that handles rentals) said pick out whatever you want, no matter the cert was for a Dyna/Softtail. Like I said, waaaaay nice.

We took off south down I25 to the Rye/Colorado City exit. Headed up 165 through the San Isabel Forest. This is me somewhere on that road.
Attachment 318375

We had the road pretty much to our selves. Took 165 to 69, turned left towards Silver Cliff and Westcliff. Kinda one town with 2 names. Had lunch at the Miners Store Cafe. Left there and turned right onto 69. Again, pretty much deserted. Snow capped mountains on the left and empty road in front.

Stayed on 69 to Texas Creek where we picked up 50 South to Canon City. The wife wanted to go to the winery at the Abbey, a recommended stop if you're in the area. We left there and headed back North on 50 and turned right on 9. Rode towards Cripple Creek but turned off onto High Park Rode towards Florissant. Picked up 24 in Florrisant over through Woodland Park and back down into Colorado Springs.

All together about 300 miles. I was surprised at how well the Softtail performed. Very comfortable and handled nicely through the twisties. I never considered the Heritage a "Touring" bike, but I've changed my mind. If the chance arises I wouldn't mind having one in the garage.

Attachment 318378

Attachment 318379

Attachment 318376

This is a pic of the wife with Pikes Peak in the background. She didn't have much good to say about her seating. Of course, she's used to her throne on the Road Glide.
Attachment 318377

All in all, a helluva day. I can't say enough good things about the folks at Pikes Peak HD. And I have an AWESOME daughter.
We just completed a 1,076 mile trip on our new 2013 Heritage. We live here in Colorado. Denver to Raton, NM. Raton to Farmington NM. Farmington to Silverton, CO. Silverton to Montrose and up over the Grand Mesa to Glenwood Springs, Co. Then back to Denver.
The Heritage has a nice ride and lot's of scoot.
Next time you come out, check out the Million Dollar Highway HWY 550 out of Montrose and head south to Durango. You will not forget this pass!!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks folks. I always said if I couldn't live in SC, southern CO would be my next choice.

As for the GoG lionsm13, I've been through there a few times in a cage. Great hiking around there as well. But not this trip.

Quick Reply: Happy early Fathers Day to me!!!