Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I losing my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. Thanks for that update.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for including steps 2, 3, and 4 of that repair sequence. Chances are I would have included them without the reminder, but this way I'll be sure to.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Always glad to make sure I include a thorough description and step by step instructions.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

BTW - giving credit where it's due.
Max and TJ at Harley-Davidson of Waco (Texas) were the service guys that worked with me; spent nearly half an hour checking codes, re-wiring the battery leads and generally doing the once over and shallow dive to resolve my issue. They also gave me the tip to check/sand the copper plunger washer in the solonoid.
They could have easily just written it up and told me to wait and then try to sell me a whole starter but they sent me on my way with a good idea of where the issue was and did'nt ask for a thing.
So on top of the phone call and letter I'm sending the dealership owner AND them, I'm spreading the word of a couple good guys and a friendly helpful dealership.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cwickgo9
Relay would probably be a cheap test piece first. Guess I'll get out the factory repair guide and track that sucker down.
While they were doing the preliminary once over, the relays are tucked in behind the battery. All you can see are the little plastic tabs that are attached to the body. You can use a philips screw driver to pry them up to get to the bottom and the wiring harness.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna bet it will happen again...

I say that, because the 80 grit paper left a rough finish on the copper washer. It will arc, just like before, and burn the tips off of any rough edges and create the same scenario all over again. It is a good 'road fix', but should be replaced at soonest opportunity.

We used to sand the same parts on Ford starter solenoids after taking them apart. Back when points and condensers were used in ignition systems, we sanded with light weight sand paper or the smooth side of our OL's finger nail emery board. Then we would finish cleaning points with a dollar bill. The paper used in dollar bills was just rough enough to cut down the rough finish, and leave a smooth surface.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Nice you have it fixed, and great to hear of good service.....on my list to stop if ever i get down that way....T-Shirt and a stop in the service department to tell them about this post...makes them happy and keeps good service flowing...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to do what I did. Replace the end cap of the solenoid with the push button type. No matter what fails you can always turn on the ignition in neutral and push the button. As long as you have enough battery that sucka is gonna spin.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
You might want to do what I did. Replace the end cap of the solenoid with the push button type. No matter what fails you can always turn on the ignition in neutral and push the button. As long as you have enough battery that sucka is gonna spin.
I second that. Cheap insurance. Mine cost $22.00 at Dennis Kirk.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Def Mute
I'm gonna bet it will happen again...

I say that, because the 80 grit paper left a rough finish on the copper washer. It will arc, just like before, and burn the tips off of any rough edges and create the same scenario all over again. It is a good 'road fix', but should be replaced at soonest opportunity.

We used to sand the same parts on Ford starter solenoids after taking them apart. Back when points and condensers were used in ignition systems, we sanded with light weight sand paper or the smooth side of our OL's finger nail emery board. Then we would finish cleaning points with a dollar bill. The paper used in dollar bills was just rough enough to cut down the rough finish, and leave a smooth surface.
Yeah - I was thinking about that, but I dont know where to come up with a replacement plunger or if it can be broken down to replace the copper washer on its own. And even if so, where to find the washer? Can you actually find inner solonoid or starter parts? I know you could find brushes for cars, etc. and internal brush olders, bearings, brushes, bushings - but I've not seen those pieces available for HD starters - only whole units. Not even individual solonoids.

Answered my own question..DUH!...http://www.jpcycles.com/product/223-354

Last edited by cwickgo9; 06-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I losing my starter?