Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I losing my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Am I losing my starter?

So I get the beauty out this AM for a short 100 miles and when I press the button, I get nothing but a click. The radio dims off, the other electrical things act like I put a load on the system but nothing turns over. I press the button 3 more times and on the fourth time, it turns over and starts like it should have the first time. I shut it off, it starts right up. Turn it off 2 more times and restarts every time. I go back in to do some other stuff, come back out - again - no start and starts only after pressing the button several times.
I go ahead with my ride. When I get to the destination, I come back out after shutting it off, and I get the familiar "rattle" before it starts. I just had a new battery and stator put in only a few months ago.
Am I losing my starter?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have the capability to check the tightness of your battery connections?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

that's one of the first things I did, both ends. they seem snug.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Battery.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 3,084 Posts

I'm guessing a relay. Listen for the square plastic box under the seat when you push the start button. 5 prong plug if memory serves...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WolfDog
Battery.
Well if it is, it's gonna be a free replacement. The only thing is, when it does hit, it turns fast, just like it should. Not slow or dragging at all.

I'll check again for the sound, but it sounds like the "click" I hear is at the starter itself, like the solonoid engages the bendix, but just doesnt turn over.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The relay under the seat has been the culprit in previous threads.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

Relay would probably be a cheap test piece first. Guess I'll get out the factory repair guide and track that sucker down.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 461 Posts

With your mileage and if the solenoid is closing, the relay is doubtful as the cause. There seems to be a lot of burnt, carboned up contacts in the solenoid now, solenoid closes but the contacts don't pass enough juice to turn the starter. Other guys have reported taking the solenoid apart and cleaning the contacts but that isn't a job I have done yet so I have no tips on the easy way to do it.

The other possibility is the battery on the way out. If you have a digital volt meter and some clips, you can clip the leads on the battery posts or some live power point and check voltage when hitting the start button, shouldn't drop below 10 volts with a healthy battery and good connections. If you have to remove the starter to get to the solenoid, may as well take it apart far enough to check the brushes, commutator and bearings. Have never seen any discussion of typical mileage for starters beginning to wear out.

Last edited by btsom; 06-23-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

UPDATE: btsom, you're right on the money.
I was visiting another town for work and stopped by the dealer there. The two write-up guys spent 20 minutes going over it - checking error codes, moving wires, etc. After all that, they recommended taking the solonoid cover off, removing the plunger and cleaning that copper "washer" with sandpaper.
I got home, let it cool, took the solonoid cover off, arc'd on the tranny cover, beat myself up, bandaided my knuckle, took off the seat, unhooked the battery cable, removed the plunger assy., used my B&D "mouse" sander with some 80 grit paper and cleaned up the copper washer/shoulder on the plunger. Put everything back and bingo, starts every time now.
As to the battery, I just had that, regulater, stator and rotor replaced in the last year, so I highly doubted that to be the issue. It seemed to be an issue with power or signal getting to the starter.
So I'm back on the road. I'll update in a week if it continues to work. As of right now, that seems to have been the issue.

Quick Reply: Am I losing my starter?