Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, inner fairing projust complete!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Finally, inner fairing projust complete!

Looks great. I almost wish i would have had my inner fairing painted after seeing yours.
Is this the same stock faring that came with the bike? Did the painter have any special prep work that was required. Seems like the stock (non-painted_ fairings have a bit of texture.

I am in the final stages of a complete re-fit on my FLHTPI. Waiting on the saddlebags and tourpak from the painter. I will post pics.
Removing the inner/outer fairing can be a daunting task for the weak minded. But the service manual and parts manual are a must. Plus plenty of making tape to label everything. Give me until next week and i will have a break down of all i did to mine.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
natewat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally, inner fairing projust complete!

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

Looks great. I almost wish i would have had my inner fairing painted after seeing yours.
Is this the same stock faring that came with the bike? Did the painter have any special prep work that was required. Seems like the stock (non-painted_ fairings have a bit of texture.

I am in the final stages of a complete re-fit on my FLHTPI. Waiting on the saddlebags and tourpak from the painter. I will post pics.
Removing the inner/outer fairing can be a daunting task for the weak minded. But the service manual and parts manual are a must. Plus plenty of making tape to label everything. Give me until next week and i will have a break down of all i did to mine.
Thanks!

That is the OEM fairing. I askedthe painterif he painted it different than most of his jobs and he said that first he cleaned it (didn't tell me what with) and when he painted it he used "extra flex" in it. I'm not a painter and I make no claims to know what that means. My best guess would be that he put an additive in the paint that would allow the paint to flex without cracking since the fairing is plastic. I do know too that there are many more coats on this than most jobs because of the texture, but all those coats have given it depth that the camera can't capture.

Yes, I labled the crap out of everything and it still took me 5 hours to put back together!

Please do post pics of your projects. I love looking at the pictures on here gives me ideas too.