Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary plug broke off in radio!! AAHHHHH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM
gas_sux
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary plug broke off in radio!! AAHHHHH!!!!

The end 1/8" of my auxiliary plug broke off inside the radio... How the hell this happened is beyond me. Never got rough with it or anything, shitty cord and ends would be my guess. I've been told this has happened before, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have a trick to get it out of there. I tried super glue and a small wire, but wasn't successful... It's $150 to get it fixed, which isn't a big deal really, I just don't want to wait until the end of the riding season to take care of it.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I would remove the radio and disassemble it enough to remove the plug. I realize some aren't comfortable doing that. In that case, to Iron Cross it goes.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

You are going to have to take the radio out anyway (which is the hard part). It's just a few more screws and a couple of tabs on the face plate and boom...there is the plug so you can get to it. Here is what you will see:

Not sure if the barrell of the broken stereo plug will even be visible to you. There may be a tad of space at the connection tabs where you can something in there to force out the broken plug. The connecting ears inside the aux plug are kinda spring loaded to hold in the plug.

If you do end up sending it off to Iron Cross, a really good company, have them install you a rear aux plug so you don't even have to use the front port any more. Here is a pic of what that looks like. It's on the far left in the photo. The other 4 RCA female connectors are preamp taps that feed audio to my amp.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Clean an 1/8th inch drill bit on the flat end put a drop of super glue on it, (not too much) put tape across it to hold it for no less than 5 minutes, pull it out , break off the piece, good to go.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
gas_sux
Novice

Bill.. I'll give the drill bit a shot. I tried it once with the ink tube out of a pen, pretty much a perfect fit.. And it didn't work.
Joe... Thanks alot for the pics and info!!! If i end up having to tear the radio out, then what you have showed me and told me will be helpful!! If it comes to that, I won't be a bit nervous taking the face plate off to expose the plug. I'm hoping to have time wednesday after work to get to the bottom of this. Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 PM
FORDFALCON
1st Gear

Your best bet would be to take the radio out and have it done correctly before anymore damage.How about one of those mechanic magnets?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had the radio out a few times. Not hard. It does take a little time and I STRONGLY recommend buying a long arm ball end allen wrench. I haven't taken the radio apart, but it can't be hard.

If you do send it in I'm with Joe plus I would suggest asking them to install those RCA's in case you ever decide to run an amp. Oh, and while it is there you could also have them change the screen color if you'd like a different color LED. While it's going in adding stuff on shouldn't cost much.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 742 Posts

A strip of wax paper rolled up into a hollow tube and inserted into the hole all the way down to the broken jack, next push through a toothpick or a paperclip with a tiny dollop of 5 minute epoxy on the end. Let it set up and harden on the end of the jack, the wax paper prevents the epoxy from adhering to the sides, when hardened pull out the whole affair.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me

If you do send it in I'm with Joe plus I would suggest asking them to install those RCA's in case you ever decide to run an amp. Oh, and while it is there you could also have them change the screen color if you'd like a different color LED. While it's going in adding stuff on shouldn't cost much.
+1 on the display. While my HK was there, had Iron Cross change my display color to the white background. Man what a difference, I can actually see it at night now! It's not cheap, but well worth it. (at least it was to me)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
Clean an 1/8th inch drill bit on the flat end put a drop of super glue on it, (not too much) put tape across it to hold it for no less than 5 minutes, pull it out , break off the piece, good to go.
bingo.. paper clip works perfectly fine too..

Quick Reply: Auxiliary plug broke off in radio!! AAHHHHH!!!!