Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I own a new 2014 Ultra Limited and it also had a coolant leak at 84 miles. The dealer sent out a truck and trailer to pick-up, the problem was fixed. I spoke with the tech, he used a product called Hilmar on the hose that connects to the overflow tank and he said he replaced the clamp with one he felt was better. They gave the bike 50 miles worth of test to make sure; all is good, problem resolved. It was not a big thing at all.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
What thread is this? I found one that said they "might" have to replace the head but it ended up being a faulty compression release.

Id like to read the head replacement thread if you cand find it.
That could very well be the one I read; I just remember a problem with the head, and that Harley wants all the parts back for inspection purposes. I go to another Harley forum but HDForums is where I get 99.9% of the info.

For example, it was here that I learned about a new/revised 2014 compensator. Went by a local Indy that has a great reputation and let them listen to the 'bearing-rattle' like sound that comes from the primary. (Happens as you take off from a complete stop.) My local H-D shop has always insisted it's normal; the Indy shop at this point said it sure didn't sound normal to them, so next week they are going to open it up and take a look. Maybe a new compensator will solve the problem...

So, what's the deal with yours? I can't believe the shop hasn't been able to pass on what their progress is and what the likely problem is... I'm sure the NSA already knows, so they should tell you!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM
fren5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep in mind a water cooled motor can be machined to tighter tolerances, there is less expansion and contraction due to the steady running temps, dont know if moco changed any specs for the high output motor, would be concerned running that motor without any coolant, also previous poster said something about a fan, maybe i didnt see the diagram close enough but i dont recall seeing a fan in the schematic?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
That could very well be the one I read; I just remember a problem with the head, and that Harley wants all the parts back for inspection purposes. I go to another Harley forum but HDForums is where I get 99.9% of the info.

For example, it was here that I learned about a new/revised 2014 compensator. Went by a local Indy that has a great reputation and let them listen to the 'bearing-rattle' like sound that comes from the primary. (Happens as you take off from a complete stop.) My local H-D shop has always insisted it's normal; the Indy shop at this point said it sure didn't sound normal to them, so next week they are going to open it up and take a look. Maybe a new compensator will solve the problem...

So, what's the deal with yours? I can't believe the shop hasn't been able to pass on what their progress is and what the likely problem is... I'm sure the NSA already knows, so they should tell you!
I too get the rattle only when the EITMS kicks in. I had the dealer listen to it when I took it in for the 1K. They called HD and came back with the "it's normal" song. Seems the more I ride it the less frequently and quieter the rattle. I'm betting it's the compensator too.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottt
I own a new 2014 Ultra Limited and it also had a coolant leak at 84 miles. The dealer sent out a truck and trailer to pick-up, the problem was fixed. I spoke with the tech, he used a product called Hilmar on the hose that connects to the overflow tank and he said he replaced the clamp with one he felt was better. They gave the bike 50 miles worth of test to make sure; all is good, problem resolved. It was not a big thing at all.
Mine seems to be a little more serious than yours as the leak you describe appears to be a common problem that the dealers know about.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry but i would be one of those guys that would be furious. I cant spend 25k on a motorcycle and ride 100 miles and have coolant pissing. it doesn't make sense to me. Sure things happen. But you cant have "x" amount of miles of r&d and have things like this happen. your a good man to keep your cool

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I'd be fuming if a dealer put 50 miles on a vehicle of mine for a "test". Even more so if its brand new!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I'd be fuming if a dealer put 50 miles on a vehicle of mine for a "test". Even more so if its brand new!
Oh... im sure the mechanic took it easy and rode it just as carefully as the owner would breaking in the new engine!......

Can you tell Ive been STRESSING about what is going on with my bike?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus

you guys are something else you would rather them give it back to you after a 5 miles ride and then it happen again to you 20 miles later.
I ran and auto repair shop for 20 years and I had problem vehicles that I had to put a 100 miles on to make sure the problems where fixed.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Picked up my CVO Ltd today. Got 50 miles on it so far with no leaks. I'm keeping a close eye on things though. I hope they get you all fixed soon.

Quick Reply: My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..