Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 PM
baldridge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
Wow. Are service centers really this stupid? I hope not all of them are.
It's a slow leak, but if you wait a couple minutes you can see it getting wet there. Wait another 10 or so and you start seeing larger drops and then hitting the ground. I didn't question it this time, because I thought maybe the coolant was following the hose down... I should have checked it before I left.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baldridge
It's a slow leak, but if you wait a couple minutes you can see it getting wet there. Wait another 10 or so and you start seeing larger drops and then hitting the ground. I didn't question it this time, because I thought maybe the coolant was following the hose down... I should have checked it before I left.
Yea, but you pointed out to them where it was leaking. They should have known that had nothing to do with the bottle neck.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 AM
flyingrider
Stage IV

Hi guys! Happy holidays to all of you from Italy!! Finally after I ordered in September I just received in my place (Catania, Sicily ITALY) my Ultra Limited '14. Compare to my previous 2002 ultra classic I have to admit it's really nice to drive! Reading all your interesting posts in these months I was already aware of some coolant issue....That's a picture after my first 80 miles...What do you think? On Recall page says only about:
Product Notice: 0916: PRD PGM:2014 TWIN-COOL FILL NK
How was your initial issue? Seen that it doesn't look that the leak is from the drain in your experience is due to a defect on thermostat or pump? Thanks a lot for your help!
Kind regards

Attached Thumbnails My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..-image.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingrider
Hi guys! Happy holidays to all of you from Italy!! Finally after I ordered in September I just received in my place (Catania, Sicily ITALY) my Ultra Limited '14. Compare to my previous 2002 ultra classic I have to admit it's really nice to drive! Reading all your interesting posts in these months I was already aware of some coolant issue....That's a picture after my first 80 miles...What do you think? On Recall page says only about:
How was your initial issue? Seen that it doesn't look that the leak is from the drain in your experience is due to a defect on thermostat or pump? Thanks a lot for your help!
Kind regards
That is the thermostat leak that we are talking about. They still don't have a fix for it. They will just keep replacing it till they get one that doesn't leak. Mine started leaking at 1,160 miles. The dealer received 2 new thermostats that leaked as soon as they installed them and tested the bike. The third one they tried hasn't leaked in 400 miles now. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 AM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
That is the thermostat leak that we are talking about. They still don't have a fix for it. They will just keep replacing it till they get one that doesn't leak. Mine started leaking at 1,160 miles. The dealer received 2 new thermostats that leaked as soon as they installed them and tested the bike. The third one they tried hasn't leaked in 400 miles now. Good luck.
A good friend has a new wet head and had the same leak after two replacements, he had a long trip planned and took it on him self to cut the plastic elbow off, drill out the welded insert and tapped, installed a brass elbow.
Two weeks into his trip no leak yet as of a tx message from him yesterday.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by highmarket
A good friend has a new wet head and had the same leak after two replacements, he had a long trip planned and took it on him self to cut the plastic elbow off, drill out the welded insert and tapped, installed a brass elbow.
Two weeks into his trip no leak yet as of a tx message from him yesterday.
I've been wondering myself why HD just doesn't do something like that. I mean connecting a hose to a vehicle part so it doesn't leak isn't rocket science.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Stacy73
Advanced

Had all three fixes. Been riding for a week now (the snow is finally gone), without a problem. Hopefully it's fixed. Going to Rolling Thunder in May and that will tell the story.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingrider
Kind regards
Yes, that is the current problem and a previous post put a brass elbow in. the filler neck update does not address the elbow. Mike

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stacy73
Had all three fixes. Been riding for a week now (the snow is finally gone), without a problem. Hopefully it's fixed. Going to Rolling Thunder in May and that will tell the story.
Great news, and thanks for the update.