Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bankguy
Thought I was ready to trade in my 2011 Road Glide Ultra on a 2014 Ultra Limited. Waiting and watching instead. Concerned about cooling system failures and what I am reading about the navigation system. HD I hope you are paying attention to this.
I hope they are too. It's simply not acceptable to be told "oh, there will be a software update that will fix all that." Really? When? I've been having to deal with this radio crap for almost 4 months now.

I signed up for some MoCo advisory panel where I'm basically a survey taker. I took one the other night and when I answered "POOR" to one of the questions about Infotainment, I got to elaborate in a free-form box. I wrote them a novel. I hope marketing relays the info to someone who cares.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM
hagerswami
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, am on the same advisory panel. I took the survey and gave an extended account of the four times I've had the coolant issue taken care of by two separate dealers. Like I told them, hopefully the last time will work.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
My Limited was built 9/25/13. I brought it home on 10/5 I had no problems with it until 11/10, 1160 miles. That's when I noticed a spot of coolant the size of a quarter on my garage floor. I looked it over and found the Thermastat housing was leaking where the tube goes into the right side of it. When I went to pick it up after being "fixed" The dealer said the moco overnighted one of the new redesigned housing for my bike. I took a look at it before leaving the dealership and discovered the new housing was leaking in the same spot. They kept it and had the moco overnight another housing. They just delivered it back to me tonight. I looked under it as soon as they rolled it off the trailer and this one is leaking in the same spot also. So back on the trailer it went. This was not just a problem with the first few bikes since mine was built 9/25. And they have put 2 of the new redesigned thermostat housings on it in less then a week and they have both leaked at the same spot. See the attached pic.
Just got my Limited back after having the thermostat housing replaced 3 times in 2 weeks due to leaks. The 3rd time was a charm. This one isn't leaking. Harley definitely has a problem with the housings. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't issue a reliability recall in a few months like they did for the voltage regulators in 2012. It took them 3 months after the voltage regulator failure problem was widely reported on here before they admitted the had an issue. They will have to come out with a sure fix before they can recall the thermostat housings. All 3 of the ones they replaced my original one with were suppose to be the new updated ones to solve the leak. But the first 2 replacements leaked before even leaving the dealer after being installed.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up FINALLY! HD "Program" for twin cooled bikes

Just learned that Harley announced a "Product Program" for some of the twin cooled bikes. My 2014 Limited was included. it is product notice 0916: PRD PGM: Twin-Cool Fill NK

My dealer has not received any kits for this "Program". Harley is shipping the dealers a new kit that includes a new fill Neck.

I had my fill neck replaced two weeks ago and I am told that it will need to be done again, this new fill neck is the part that will fix our coolant leak issue once and for all.

It did end up being a simple fix, I am sure the new twin cooled bikes coming off the line now have this new part already installed. I am just happy that they have this issue solved.

Harley initially used the same fill neck part they use in the VRod's, even though they have different pressure requirement's. this new fill neck was designed just for our twin cooled bikes. I think this is great news.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Great news, indeed. Shades of the voltage regulator program on the '12 models. Once HD figured it out all went well.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scottt
Just learned that Harley announced a "Product Program" for some of the twin cooled bikes. My 2014 Limited was included. it is product notice 0916: PRD PGM: Twin-Cool Fill NK

My dealer has not received any kits for this "Program". Harley is shipping the dealers a new kit that includes a new fill Neck.

I had my fill neck replaced two weeks ago and I am told that it will need to be done again, this new fill neck is the part that will fix our coolant leak issue once and for all.

It did end up being a simple fix, I am sure the new twin cooled bikes coming off the line now have this new part already installed. I am just happy that they have this issue solved.

Harley initially used the same fill neck part they use in the VRod's, even though they have different pressure requirement's. this new fill neck was designed just for our twin cooled bikes. I think this is great news.
The fill neck is only 1 of the 3 issues that have been reported on here. There have been defective radiator caps that were only holding 12-16 PSI instead of the required 18-22psi. The fill neck's that are warping which the program you mentioned is fixing. And the thermostat housings that leak on the right side where the hose connector enters the side of the housing. My thermostat housing started leaking 2 weeks ago. The dealer replaced it 3 times with new ones the MOCO overnighted each time before they got one that didn't leak as soon as it was installed. But at least the MOCO is finding and addressing the issues one at a time. Hopefully they will all be corrected before this spring.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
The fill neck is only 1 of the 3 issues that have been reported on here. There have been defective radiator caps that were only holding 12-16 PSI instead of the required 18-22psi. The fill neck's that are warping which the program you mentioned is fixing. And the thermostat housings that leak on the right side where the hose connector enters the side of the housing. My thermostat housing started leaking 2 weeks ago. The dealer replaced it 3 times with new ones the MOCO overnighted each time before they got one that didn't leak as soon as it was installed. But at least the MOCO is finding and addressing the issues one at a time. Hopefully they will all be corrected before this spring.
Who knows; I wonder if the problem fill neck was causing issues that looked like they were related to the radiator cap? If the bad fill neck caused incorrect pressure that could have caused other part failures? I would not be surprised to see this one fix take care of all the coolant leak issues. Having the correct pressure along with the correct seal between the neck and the cap could be big, real big.

We won't know all the answers until we see the new neck, and of course, put some miles on the repair. My bet is that we have no more issues. The last thing the MoCo would want to do is make this repair; knowing the history and then have it fail. I don't think they would take that gamble.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

I called my dealer this afternoon and asked about the Product program 0916: PRD PGM: Twin-Cool Fill NK. They said Harley sent the kit for that program with the thermostat housing they overnighted Tuesday night. They completed the filler neck upgrade when they replaced the 3rd thermostat housing Wednesday. Hopefully my cooling system will be trouble free now. The Thermostat housing leak and clutch recall have been the only issues I have had with my Limited in 6 weeks and 1200 miles.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
baldridge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thermostat housing just started leaking last week. Took it into the dealer today and pointed to where it was leaking. Service manager said it was the fill neck under the program and they had the part and did it while I waited. Said it was fixed. Got home and guess where its still leaking? At the thermostat housing.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baldridge
My thermostat housing just started leaking last week. Took it into the dealer today and pointed to where it was leaking. Service manager said it was the fill neck under the program and they had the part and did it while I waited. Said it was fixed. Got home and guess where its still leaking? At the thermostat housing.
Wow. Are service centers really this stupid? I hope not all of them are.

Quick Reply: My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..