Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R Tuning by Doc's Performance...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 120R Tuning by Doc's Performance...

Well...I finally got it done! On Sunday, the first of September and Labor Day weekend I loaded my 120R Street Glide onto a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and made the 440 mile trek from Pensacola, FL to Mineola, FL and the home of 'Doc' Weaver of Doc's Performance Tuning. I stayed at the Hampton Inn right down the street from Doc's and showed up nice and early for my all day appointment. I had been on the calendar for almost two months and was ready to make this happen! I had logged 2,000+ miles on my 120R with a dealer break-in tune and had just replaced all of my fluids and replaced my V&H True Duals and Monster Ovals and with a D&D Boarzilla.

Doc arrived a few minutes after I did and introduced himself. The first thing I noticed was how friendly and open he was to me as he opened up his shop and we made small talk. This is a one man outfit in a small industrial park...but make no mistake...this is where magic happens! Doc was the only employee and I was his only customer! His full attention was to me and I have decided I like it that way! As I filled out my paperwork Doc got down to the business of explaining what it was he was going to do. After our conversation...it was time to get busy!

I unloaded my Street Glide as Doc opened up the garage bay...I went ahead and pulled onto the dyno ramp after removing my bags and covers and got my Street Glide locked into place. The whole time Doc was setting up he was explaining in minute detail his procedures and what I was to expect.

The first step was to check out the condition of my 120R and see how she was running...front O2 sensor was dead...check! SE plugs wires not worth a crap...check! Listened to my dealer tune and looked at some readings on the dyno...Doc not impressed...check! Battery low...need to replace it...check! D&D O2 bungs too long and preventing the sensors from reading right...check! Okay...I was starting to worry!

Doc made notes and we replaced the O2 sensors...he had them there for just this reason! I made notes of what I needed to do later. Doc reprogrammed my ECM (I originally had a SEPST) with a TTS Mastertune and began his work! And there is a lot of work to do! I sat outside of the dyno booth and watched as he worked his way through every detail of my tune. An entire screen would originally start as red...but when he finished it was green. I could hear the difference in my bike as the work proceeded. Minutes turned into hours...all the time stopping to call me in to the booth and update me on what he was doing. I don't know how many runs he made or how many times he started and turned off my bike...but it was a lot!

We broke for lunch at noon and went to Panera Bread...and was I ready...we returned to wrap up the tune and to button everything up. When the master was finished he said it was time to ride it...me, not him! I asked if he thought it was ready...he stated he knew it was ready! His dyno had already told him everything he needed to know!

I got geared up and hopped on my ride...I immediately noticed a few small details...it started better, idled better, sounded better, smelled better...and I was still in the garage! I took her out for a 5 mile spin...and I will simply say...WOW! I had a new bike in every respect! None of my Harleys have EVER ridden this good...and this is my third! Doc had done all that he had promised...and a lot more! My 120R was now the monster that I had envisioned...but it was tamed! No jerking, no stutter, no hesitation...nothing! Just an unlimited throttle!

I have put 1,000+ miles on the bike since getting her home. I have looked for any instance of her not running right...and I don't see it! I took it to my dealership and shared my excitement...everyone there was pretty damned impressed! I rode with 5 buddies up the the Barber Motorcycle Museum last weekend...500 miles round trip. It was flawless!

Long story short...best $$$ I have ever spent on my Harley! This is all of the high performance I will ever need...but I thank Doc for his expertise and skills in making my it happen and allowing me to have the Harley that I had always hoped it would be!

I have posted a few pictures and the SAE/STD dyno results.

Ride safe!

Steve

Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thread! Everyone should spend a few bills on a pro tune

Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
doc ock
Road Master

So after Doc's tune do you run the bike in open or closed loop? Sounds like money well spent, wish he wasn't so far away.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Wardon
Intermediate

He brought the motor work I had done alive too. To say he is thorough is an understatement. My motor runs cooler than stock and still starts and idles like a new bike.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Doc works wonders , I love the work he's done for me

Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

That's one sweet bike!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Guess I missed your post last month.
Couple questions.
The " D&D O2 bungs too long and preventing the sensors from reading right" what was the fix for this or did he just want to let you know and after his tune it wasn't an issue?

Another ding on the SE plug wires, anyone have the reason for this? I'm not that in love with my red ones and put them on more because I liked the looks but I've read a few times that there no good. I still have my stock ones and plan on putting them back on just because I want my bike to run more that I want it to look pretty.

Last, did your bad front o2 not put an engine light up? Was there a code or anything that would have let you know you had a bad o2?

Not sure If I'll be able to get down to Docs even though I would love to. But starting with a power vision and having to get a SEPST because that is all the dealer that installed my 120R knew how to tune and then having to buy a TTS if I wanted Doc to tune it is all adding up. On top of getting rid of my Rinehart extreme TD 3.5 for a Vance & Hines dresser duals with Rinehart 4" and now going with a D&D Boarzilla. My used parts pile is getting high.

Great numbers by the way.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Great write up. Couple of questionsWhat wires and plugs did he recommend to use? And what kind of fuel mileage you getting after the tune?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Great write up. Couple of questionsWhat wires and plugs did he recommend to use? And what kind of fuel mileage you getting after the tune?
I think he suggests sticking with the stock plug wires.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM
jkelley
Tourer

Doc is the best in my book. Finding a good tuner is really hard to do. Doc is a great one!

Quick Reply: 120R Tuning by Doc's Performance...