Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"You have to let us do your 1000 service or your warranty will be void"

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009
That's a lot of grease??
Yes it is. Close as I can figure, about enough to fill an empty steering head.

The MOCO, at manufacture, greased the bearings, simply put grease on the bearings at assembly, and prescribed the filling of the head at first service. Which the techs failed to do.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 PM
hagerswami
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually have my 1,000 done at the HD and do the rest myself. Figure if something is going on and they find it, bike's already there. Most of the time, anything bad happens in the first 1K, but not always.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

what's the point of the Cadillac information in the original post? are you saying HD should do that.... dream on.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM
doc ock
Road Master

If bike is serviced properly it will never see a dealer, so you won't have to worry about a warranty issue.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The part that most people are missing in this debate is that in the long run, it's better to just suck it up and let the dealership do the first service. If you do your own maintenance and keep records, H-D is most likely still going to deny the claim and force you to take them to court.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
hagerswami
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Markk9
The part that most people are missing in this debate is that in the long run, it's better to just suck it up and let the dealership do the first service. If you do your own maintenance and keep records, H-D is most likely still going to deny the claim and force you to take them to court.
Really not true with me. On my 2011 Ultra Limited, I had three major warranty jobs and all were done with no questions asked about maintenance. I had 56K when I sold this bike and the warranty work was done at two shops, Chambersburg, PA and Sacramento, CA. The preventative maintenance was 50/50 between me and the shop.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hagerswami
Really not true with me. On my 2011 Ultra Limited, I had three major warranty jobs and all were done with no questions asked about maintenance. I had 56K when I sold this bike and the warranty work was done at two shops, Chambersburg, PA and Sacramento, CA. The preventative maintenance was 50/50 between me and the shop.
That is good to hear...

Old 10-13-2013, 02:12 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Quit quoting the MM act. You will NEVER win that, and.... if you quote it all around the dealer, etc... you will be THE nutcase and get didly squat. MM, anymore, is basically a tool a state's attorney general uses. It IS a big money fight.

The hard records you have will work fine, just call MOCO CS whenever an issue arises if the dealer squaks later on a warranty repair. Last two new bikes, I, like you, have done my own 1,000 mile service. I walk the bike with torque wrenches (since the 09 frame over), find crap loose and feel better about it all. No... I HIGHLY doubt a dealer checks any, let alone ALL, of the critical fasteners.

Warranty was never an issue with me. AFter a few months and various engine swaps on both bikes, I still got the general warranty but lost powertrain... which sounds about right with a 107 in one and a 120r in the other bike.... I'm GOOD with that then AND now, too. They STILL fixed radio and electronic crap under warranty AFTER the engine do overs.

My experiences have been anything like what member Markk9 states. GREAT service on IPB on the road, etc.

Hmmm always helped that at my former 'home' dealer... they asked ME questions on motor builds... not the other way around. And now I find myself a DIY nut with my own dyno. Imagine that!

Keep receipts to prove you used parts that meet or exceed MOCO specs. Keep a log on whats done to the bike, too. EVERYTHING written down is a huge help in this, as it no longer appears you fudged just the 1000 miler. I write everything, with date and mileage in my Service Manuals on the blank pages. A series of self written notes is good enough anywhere, since it has been good enough for sexual harassment suits... ya dig me?

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
While I don't do everything with the dealer I do spend some money with them. I have found a little money and conversation with the service guys end up with a little special treatment should I need anything quick.
I do this also. For the last 15 years with ALL new vehicle purchases. But... with the bikes? I buy parts and kick it around with mechanics, etc. They DID get any and all warranty work, too, but never service. NOTHING beats going to a dealer once and awhile and simply being friendly and showing off stuff like 120r, etc. Once they wave and say "Hi John" when I walk into a dealer, I KNOW that I am good. I buy all aftermarket online and all MOCO parts at a dealer.

OP? It would ruin the experience for me if I was confronted with such BS as you were.

Markk9, thanks for your service. That must have been the most fun of your life for sure!... driving an Eagle! Shoot!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Last three bike had the dealer throw in the 1000 mile service, after they gave me their best deal...proberly paid for it in the end, but I felt better...do,my own after that, with records and receipts.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:22 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

you do the 1K service yourself and you sign & date the owners manual as such. It will hold up in court!

Quick Reply: "You have to let us do your 1000 service or your warranty will be void"