Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Demo Ride Weekend on 2014 Limited-Observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Harley Demo Ride Weekend on 2014 Limited-Observations

The Harley demo truck was in town so I took a half hour demo ride here at one the local dealership and, It is simply amazing, in a span of five years, how the new and improved 2014 Limited’s are so much faster and quicker from the get go, and the suspension, and ride so also so much improved over my 09 Ultra. Even the stock seat feels some much more comfortable over my stock seat.

And naturally, it does makes sense that it will definitely ride better as I am coming from a stock 96 motor with only a stage 1 kit and aftermarket Vance & Hines Monster ovals slip on. The 5th gear roll on, like most had experienced, will take you from say 60 to over 100+ in the blink of an eye…and even at 6th gear, there seems to be plenty of torque and power underneath my legs…I could not really push beyond the posted local speed limits as the road captains were controlling the pace of the rides throughout the entire course.

This was only a half hour ride, at an overall distance of about 25+ miles, and not enough time and mileage to test and compare the other new features as my main focus was the 103’s performance vs. my semi stock 96. I did feel the radiator fans coming on during some stop and go, and I can certainly say, did not see a coolant issues, as these bikes were being ridden every half hour with about five to 10 minute break in between rides, from 10AM to 5PM, with the Limited as the most popular ride among the group.

I also test rode the Street Glide Special on the same course immediately after the ride on the Limited and, nothing against the SGS/SG, but it wasn’t for me as the ride was very harsh and wind buffeting with the stock short shield was slapping my head all over the place. And I can understand why due to the shorter 12” rear shocks, but let me tell you, one thing that impressed me with this baby is how light and nimble and fast the SG is and can almost run circles over the Limited.

Overall I am impressed, and perhaps if I had one of the newer ’10 or ’11 or later limited, with the 103 motor, I may have not discerned the power & torque difference, but definitely night and day from my stock 96 motor. Will I trade mime and get one, definitely, when will I get one, next year when there are better deals to be had.

---------
DC
09 Ultra

Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
The Harley demo truck was in town so I took a half hour demo ride here at one the local dealership and, It is simply amazing, in a span of five years, how the new and improved 2014 Limited’s are so much faster and quicker from the get go, and the suspension, and ride so also so much improved over my 09 Ultra. Even the stock seat feels some much more comfortable over my stock seat.

And naturally, it does makes sense that it will definitely ride better as I am coming from a stock 96 motor with only a stage 1 kit and aftermarket Vance & Hines Monster ovals slip on. The 5th gear roll on, like most had experienced, will take you from say 60 to over 100+ in the blink of an eye…and even at 6th gear, there seems to be plenty of torque and power underneath my legs…I could not really push beyond the posted local speed limits as the road captains were controlling the pace of the rides throughout the entire course.

This was only a half hour ride, at an overall distance of about 25+ miles, and not enough time and mileage to test and compare the other new features as my main focus was the 103’s performance vs. my semi stock 96. I did feel the radiator fans coming on during some stop and go, and I can certainly say, did not see a coolant issues, as these bikes were being ridden every half hour with about five to 10 minute break in between rides, from 10AM to 5PM, with the Limited as the most popular ride among the group.

I also test rode the Street Glide Special on the same course immediately after the ride on the Limited and, nothing against the SGS/SG, but it wasn’t for me as the ride was very harsh and wind buffeting with the stock short shield was slapping my head all over the place. And I can understand why due to the shorter 12” rear shocks, but let me tell you, one thing that impressed me with this baby is how light and nimble and fast the SG is and can almost run circles over the Limited.

Overall I am impressed, and perhaps if I had one of the newer ’10 or ’11 or later limited, with the 103 motor, I may have not discerned the power & torque difference, but definitely night and day from my stock 96 motor. Will I trade mime and get one, definitely, when will I get one, next year when there are better deals to be had.

---------
DC
09 Ultra
Stick some TW-222 cams in your 96 with a good tune and see if you feel the same way about your antique 09.....

Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I too ride a 96", but mine has Andrews cams. I was impressed with the power of the new Limited but I don't think it'll run away from my bike in its stock form.

Very, very smooth and comfortable though!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 09 with fm 107 kit. Picked up 14 limited last week. 300 miles so far. Engine not as strong, but very smooth. Bike feels much lighter than the 09 and I like the seat better. Don't know what they changed, but I like it. Oh, no leaks.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
dougyf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you guys are exaggerating the perceived power increase on the new bikes. I have taken two 20 mile rides from the demo fleet on the limited and I don't think the 6 - 7 horsepower increase is that noticeable. I will be riding the bikes again on Thursday at Daytona. I have a limited on order to be picked up in march so I am hoping that the bike is great as most people say. I currently ride a stock 09 ultra.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I will say this I jumped off a 13 RGU bone stock 103 onto a bone stock 14 limited and I will say that I can tell a big difference.

now I am not saying that it has gobs more power but with the new cams it is about where it is making more power that makes it seem so much better

Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougyf
I think you guys are exaggerating the perceived power increase on the new bikes. I have taken two 20 mile rides from the demo fleet on the limited and I don't think the 6 - 7 horsepower increase is that noticeable. I will be riding the bikes again on Thursday at Daytona. I have a limited on order to be picked up in march so I am hoping that the bike is great as most people say. I currently ride a stock 09 ultra.
The OP was comparing it to his current 96" motor....

Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
txcomp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 08 Ultra with a 103 build and the easiest way to compare that bike to my 14 is the 14 feels more refined. It's smoother, roll on is better and I like the new dash a lot better. It handles better too but I expected that with the new frame.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM
shouldberiding
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Love my 2014 Limited

2014 Limited Vivid Black. I have had the clutch recall problem fixed and you guy's are right the 2014 is much smoother and faster.

T-man 555 cams
Vance&Hines X Pipes
Vance&Hines High Out Put 4.5"
SE Chisel with K&N
SE Super Tuner

Dyno Numbers 98.8 HP 117.8 TQ

Previous Bikes 2007 SG,2009 Ultra Classic,2011 Ultra Classic Limited

By far the 2014 is the best one so far.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

"from 60 to 100 in the blink of an eye" but "I could not push beyond the posted local speed limits". Hmmm. You need a set of good cams bad in that 96.

Quick Reply: Harley Demo Ride Weekend on 2014 Limited-Observations