Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
There is no other way to fill the primary and/or check the level - you HAVE to remove the derby cover.
The gasket is reusable until it starts to leak. I always keep a new one on the wall for that reason. I get mine from a local independent shop (cheaper and just as good).
You can fill it by taking off the derby cover.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the same gasket on my last bike for at least 5 oil changes. I changed the primary and tranny every 10,000 miles. Engine at 5,000. Never leaked. It was an '09 (no inspection cover) and I used the old style gasket instead of the o-ring since I changed derby covers. That little funnel Harley sells to fill through the Derby cover opening really makes it easy.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

On my 11, I reused the frisby gasket for two years and 30K miles of 5k interval primary changes, never leaked.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I think he has an 88, and yes only the inspection cover needs to be removed. I wish the 96 and newer engines still had inspection covers.

Beary

I too have an 88" motor (actually a 95" now). The primary is best filled through the derby cover (as recommended by the shop manual).
Although re-filling through the 'inspection cover' (the one for adjusting the primary chain tensioner) would not be entirely impossible, it would be very awkward since it is well below the level of the oil. It would require laying the bike nearly on it's side.
I agree that an inspection cover on the later motors would be a welcome addition. It would be pretty handy for checking the automatic ramp tensioner.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by christophgage
You can fill it by taking off the derby cover.

Glad you agree.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,598 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I too have an 88" motor (actually a 95" now). The primary is best filled through the derby cover (as recommended by the shop manual).
Although re-filling through the 'inspection cover' (the one for adjusting the primary chain tensioner) would not be entirely impossible, it would be very awkward since it is well below the level of the oil. It would require laying the bike nearly on it's side.
I agree that an inspection cover on the later motors would be a welcome addition. It would be pretty handy for checking the automatic ramp tensioner.
I don't know what bike you've got, but the bottom of the inspection cover is about the same height as the derby cover on early TC FLT "short" primaries.. The oil can be filled through either opening and neither will spill even with the bike resting on its side stand. (About 1 quart on an '04 if memory serves.)

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can never tell where the level is so I just put in the recommended amount per manual. I have used the derby gasket several time without replacing. The inspection hole it just as easy to fill the primary, but also has a gasket.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I don't know what bike you've got, but the bottom of the inspection cover is about the same height as the derby cover on early TC FLT "short" primaries.. The oil can be filled through either opening and neither will spill even with the bike resting on its side stand. (About 1 quart on an '04 if memory serves.)

My bike is an '06 Street Glide.
Problem is, the bottom of the inspection cover is 3/8" lower than the bottom of the derby cover. With the bike on it's side stand, primary oil spills down on the floor if it is not drained before removing the inspection cover. (I found this out the first time I tried to adjust the tensioner without first draining the primary.)
So....re-filling through this cover isn't impossible, just unnecessarily difficult when the derby cover is so very easy to use (and spelled out in the shop manual as the correct method).
And with that reply I think this horse is now quite dead.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive always filled mine through the inspection cover. Throw a quart in it and button it up.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mtinner
Thanks for the replies.
One of the reasons I didn't want to take the derby cover off was to save me a trip to the dealer for a new gasket if needed.
Thanks again.
I change the gasket maybe every 3rd or 4th time. I've never had one leak before actually.

Quick Reply: Primary oil change question