Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
My bike is an '06 Street Glide.
Problem is, the bottom of the inspection cover is 3/8" lower than the bottom of the derby cover. With the bike on it's side stand, primary oil spills down on the floor if it is not drained before removing the inspection cover. (I found this out the first time I tried to adjust the tensioner without first draining the primary.)
So....re-filling through this cover isn't impossible, just unnecessarily difficult when the derby cover is so very easy to use (and spelled out in the shop manual as the correct method).
And with that reply I think this horse is now quite dead.
I also have an '06 SG and mine gets one quart through the inspection cover each time - no
problem. I drain mine hot and overnight with the front wheel on a 2x4 - one quart comes
out every time. rarely does the tensioner need to be adjusted but I like being able to
check it.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:12 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Only takes 2 minutes to take off the derby cover as long as someone before you hasn't cranked the bolts down so hard that you strip the heads.

Use a 27 torx driver and carefully remove the bolts.
You will then be able to see the fluid level.

Just barely snug the bolts down when putting the cover back on, no need to make them killer tight, cause you'll strip the heads next time.
I went one better and replaced the Torx bolts with Allen bolts and some Copper Slip . No need to over tighten because there are six of them and no there's no oil pressure behind the cover .