Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question- changing speedo

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the dealer read the mileage off the ECM for warranty purposes?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HD32141
I am changing my speedo (all gauges) out to a silver face from a SG. I have the HD extended warranty. But I don't think it has any mileage limitations, just years. Is this going to be a potential issue?
Something else that has been talked about on the forum before, if you are swapping gauges from another bike (used) and one bike has ABS and the other does not, affects the ABS light on the tach. If the donor bike has ABS, and the recipient bike does not, the ABS light will stay on once installed on the recipient bike. It's been talked about here before.

example: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...abs-light.html

another: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ing-light.html

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 11-20-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 AM
HD32141
Tourer

This has gotten messy on my end. I didn't know that a service that changed face plates existed or I may have worked with that from the start. But here is what I need now:

I'm getting a painted inner fairing. My existing black gauges (especially the two large ones) have the glass halo, presumably from frequent wetting. Also, the bike can't be in this private shop for days, he has limited space so an exchange set of gauges seemed like the fix to get everything done quickly, in and out in one day.

The gauges I bought are silver and the tach is ABS. Can you change the face plate to get rid of the ABS emblem and take out the bulb or does it need to be removed if the face plate is changed and the emblem is gone?

If this works I'll send the tach out to get this done. The speedo remains a question. Will changing it affect my warranty? And can the dealer read the mileage off the ECM?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealers can not change mileage of used gauges. The mileage can only be set when buying new gauges from the dealer.

Also so everyone know when buying used gauges you must buy the appropriate gauge for your bike ABS/Non ABS. The ABS light marries the bike when installed and is stored in the gauge. Installing a ABS gauge in a non ABS bike will result in the light blinking and can not be corrected by the dealer as it is stored in the gauge. And just the opposite if installing a used non ABS gauge in a ABS bike will result in the ABS light not working. The dealer can not fix these issues as it is stored in the gauge and they are not wanting to help any1 commit FRAUD purchasing used gauges. they will how ever be happy to sell you new gauges and have the mileage set from the factory.

I do not know if the mileage is in the ECM of the older bikes I believe in the 2013 baggers it started to be stored.
but think like this you have been taking your bike in for service all this time they have been writing down your mileage every time they work on it. NOw all of a sudden the mileage changed with the next service by 10,000 miles(or whatever it is) it will reflect in your records and to the next person you are trying to sell your bike to and if it's 10,000 less you are committing FRAUD. If it's 10,000 more you just put another 10,000 on your bike and depreciated its value even thow you really didn't add those miles.

Last edited by BadBagger08; 11-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer

I work with a few dealers across the country. Last year I was getting gauges in before the bikes ever left the shop's floor.

I am getting gauges in this week from Indy West HD Plainfield, IN and a few weeks ago I did 3 sets of gauges from Great lakes HD of Bay City, MI.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM
HD32141
Tourer

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Dealers can not change mileage of used gauges. The mileage can only be set when buying new gauges from the dealer.

Also so everyone know when buying used gauges you must buy the appropriate gauge for your bike ABS/Non ABS. The ABS light marries the bike when installed and is stored in the gauge. Installing a ABS gauge in a non ABS bike will result in the light blinking and can not be corrected by the dealer as it is stored in the gauge. And just the opposite if installing a used non ABS gauge in a ABS bike will result in the ABS light not working. The dealer can not fix these issues as it is stored in the gauge and they are not wanting to help any1 commit FRAUD purchasing used gauges. they will how ever be happy to sell you new gauges and have the mileage set from the factory.

I do not know if the mileage is in the ECM of the older bikes I believe in the 2013 baggers it started to be stored.
but think like this you have been taking your bike in for service all this time they have been writing down your mileage every time they work on it. NOw all of a sudden the mileage changed with the next service by 10,000 miles(or whatever it is) it will reflect in your records and to the next person you are trying to sell your bike to and if it's 10,000 less you are committing FRAUD. If it's 10,000 more you just put another 10,000 on your bike and depreciated its value even thow you really didn't add those miles.
I don't agree with this blanket "FRAUD" statement. In FL you have to sign an odometer statement. There is a blank for "odometer does not reflect the actual mileage". If you complete the form correctly there is no fraud. And documenting the mileage with pictures when you make the change will help you with your next seller either way.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

This has gotten messy on my end. I didn't know that a service that changed face plates existed or I may have worked with that from the start. But here is what I need now: I'm getting a painted inner fairing. My existing black gauges (especially the two large ones) have the glass halo, presumably from frequent wetting. Also, the bike can't be in this private shop for days, he has limited space so an exchange set of gauges seemed like the fix to get everything done quickly, in and out in one day. The gauges I bought are silver and the tach is ABS. Can you change the face plate to get rid of the ABS emblem and take out the bulb or does it need to be removed if the face plate is changed and the emblem is gone? If this works I'll send the tach out to get this done. The speedo remains a question. Will changing it affect my warranty? And can the dealer read the mileage off the ECM?
Tach from ABS and non-ABS are the same (have the ABS indicator). The problem happens when the tach was originally on an ABS bike. I believe it will also throw a code once on a non-ABS bike- even if you remove the bulb.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer

I don't agree with this blanket "FRAUD" statement. In FL you have to sign an odometer statement. There is a blank for "odometer does not reflect the actual mileage". If you complete the form correctly there is no fraud. And documenting the mileage with pictures when you make the change will help you with your next seller either way.
Yes you are correct, but it does make it suspicious, and must be disclosed when reselling the bike. Thankyou for correcting me.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 AM
HD32141
Tourer

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Yes you are correct, but it does make it suspicious, and must be disclosed when reselling the bike. Thankyou for correcting me.
Good talking to you Jim. I'll get the gauges on the way as soon as I can get time to take it all apart. Trace