Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the new Twin Cooled 2014 Run Cooler-yes

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Does the new Twin Cooled 2014 Run Cooler-yes

Bought my 2014 Limited Sept 10. Still have my 2013 Road King for comparison. The day after I bought the Limited the temp was 96 degrees here. Did Highway and town traffic. The bike NEVER went on heat management and dont recall the fan kicking on even once. My Road King would kill the rear cylinder pretty often. About the 2nd or 3rd stoplight, it would do that. Put my digital oil temp dipstick in. Seems to run about 20 to 30 degrees cooler than my Road King and previous 103s did and much cooler than my 2011 110 CVO Ultra. I plan to continue checking that issue but as of now, yea it does run cooler. I may even leave the cat in this headpipe since I haven't had the cooked thigh syndrome my others created, and frankly I don't think that Cat was a significant flow issue, more of a felt heat issue. Our cars have been runnin Cats for many years.

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 11-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:45 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad to hear that they do run cooler. You would certainly think that they would, but it is nice to have some numbers to apply to it.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Wonder why your regular cooled RK would go into heat management that quickly? I ride mine during the summer locally at 100+ temps, stop and go traffic, stoplights etc etc and have never had the rear cylinder shut off. Something wrong with yours or mine?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

How do you know if your rear cylinder turns off. I kinda sense mine doing it but really not sure?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

That is what the heat management system does, it shuts off the rear cylinder, you can hear it at idle right away, it sounds like it's runnin on one cylinder which is just what it is. My Road King has a Wood 555 cam, V&H dresser duals and 4" Rineharts. I run a Supertuner in it and it IS well tuned by a knowledgeable pro. runs really good. My Limited now has a Stage 1 a/c, stock Headpipe, and SE Street Cannon slip ons. I'm running a FL VIED-10. Runs very well as well. Not sure how stock that Texas RK is running in 100 degree temps but are you sure your 2009 Road King has the heat managment system ? and if so, is it enabled?? I don't recall what year they started that and some bikes don't have it enabled and the rider doesn't even know it.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

26 degrees in michigan ,, a little engine heat would feel good lol

Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM
budsbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI Jamie from Fuel Moto documented that the 14 Limited's run about 30 deg cooler back in late Sept early Oct so its good to hear that your experience is similiar. From my observations my 14 Limited seems turns off the rear cyl. at idle whenever the ambient temp is over 80 deg. It sounded like several other owners reported the same thing that around 80 deg. it deactivates the rear cyl. My owners manual stated it is turned on based on cyl temp but others have said that is not correct. Do you know for sure your ettms? is turned on? You can turn it off.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Yes you can turn it on and off, that's one of the things AI liked about the heat system.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
That is what the heat management system does, it shuts off the rear cylinder, you can hear it at idle right away, it sounds like it's runnin on one cylinder which is just what it is. My Road King has a Wood 555 cam, V&H dresser duals and 4" Rineharts. I run a Supertuner in it and it IS well tuned by a knowledgeable pro. runs really good. My Limited now has a Stage 1 a/c, stock Headpipe, and SE Street Cannon slip ons. I'm running a FL VIED-10. Runs very well as well. Not sure how stock that Texas RK is running in 100 degree temps but are you sure your 2009 Road King has the heat management system ? and if so, is it enabled?? I don't recall what year they started that and some bikes don't have it enabled and the rider doesn't even know it.
YES, The 2009 Road King does have The heat Management system. I live in the South East Texas Area and they have been working on I-10 for the last eleven years. Approximately a 40 miles stretch. The interstate is done and now the are tearing down and rebuilding the Nichas River Bridge. a five year project.

So we have been dealing with Interstate stop and go traffic for some time in 98 degree plus heat. Even with the heat management My engine has gotten so hot that it has stalled. Yes, I do have a stage one installed and it does help so bur not in these conditions.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Not sure if it is the same on the Twin Cooled, but on pre-Twin-Cooled the EITMS operates as follows-

Engine Idle Temperature Management System

For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with and Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.

When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point***, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become and "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.

EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met:

Engine temperature is greater than 287 degrees F domestic (165 deg C international)
Twist grip opening is at idle
Vehicle speed under 1 mph (2km/h)
Engine speed under 1200 RPM

EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:

Engine temperature falls below 275 deg F domestic (135 deg C international)
Twist grip opening is greater than idle
Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph (3 km/h)
Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
Clutch is released with vehicle in gear

When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

***The front cylinder head has a sensor, EITMS normally activates when this sensor hits 287 degrees F.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Does the new Twin Cooled 2014 Run Cooler-yes