Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from reduced reach bars to 10" chubby wild ones, '14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching from reduced reach bars to 10" chubby wild ones, '14 limited

I have HD reduced reach bars on my '14 Limited. They don't come back far enough so I thought I would try Chubby 10" bagger apes, model WO578.
They're supposed to have 11" to 14" of pullback, I'm wondering a couple of things, will these come back to me more than the reduced reach? Since I already had new clutch and brake cables installed for the first set of handlebars, will I be okay with those, or will they have to replace cables again? The site says the Chubbys are 2.5" taller than stock and my reduced reach bars are 2.5" taller than stock, I think. when I look up the HD OEM bars, they have a rise of 9.75" with a pullback of 6.25". The reduced reach have a rise of 12.25" with a pullback of 7.5". I will have to have the dealer install these. When he installed the Reduced Reach bars, he charged me 10 hours of labor, I went by there today and he said if he had to replace cables, it would cost me 10 hours of labor again, plus the charge for the cables. My problem is, I think 10 hours is a lot, at least I don't think I can afford to spend the cost of 10 hours of labor again on a handlebar install. Any advice? I don't have the skills to do it myself, I'm thinking my only other option is to find someone with the know-how, and pay them to do it. I have close to 5K miles on the bike so I'm almost out of warranty, once it expires, I don't see the harm in having someone other than the dealer do the install, if I can find him.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

10 hours means he does not want to do it. The 14's are easier than before because you can pivot the fairing out of the way (per manual) The cables can be re routed to accommodate different sizer bars. I just did 10" w/o new cables. You can find my pics in a thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...k-install.html Mike

Last edited by rmc115; 12-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 PM
mgibson61611
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 hours seems like a lot to me... especially in light of the fact my dealer estimated 17.5 hours to R&R a frame for my '14 FLKTK (which I thought was crazy low - but they insisted that was from the factory time requirements guide).

I'm with mike, that sounds like an "I don't want to do this" type of quote.

Best of luck

Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
10 hours means he does not want to do it. The 14's are easier than before because you can pivot the fairing out of the way (per manual) The cables can be re routed to accommodate different sizer bars. I just did 10" w/o new cables. You can find my pics in a thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...k-install.html Mike
I agree with that..........The price you paid last time was obscene if your the same guy I think you are......With not having to replace the cables & wires, your looking at about 3 hours if the tech works real, real slow....Like we told you last time, buy the service manual and some tools and do it yourself. It's not brain surgery!!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 505 Likes on 248 Posts

I personally just mounted reduced reach bars on my '14 limited last week in 3 hours. He must have been takin LOTS of breaks on the clock. NO wires or cables needed to be replaced to fit them. Tall bars that require changes in clutch lines or wires lengthened can take 8 to 10 hours on the pre-'14 bikes, I've done 3 of them and the fairing and it's parts was a much bigger PITA

Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Worse than the price they want to charge now is the fact that you didn't need to replace the cables the first time...We just did WO 12.5s on a buddy and all we had to do was extend the wires. It was REAL easy...Find another dealer or an honest indy...Stay way away from the first one. They are crooks...You also have a warranty that gives you two years and unlimited miles...Again, GET WAY AWAY FROM THAT CROOK OF A DEALER...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 12-28-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

That is rediculous. I have these bars and love them. Should be ok with the cables you have. I got by with getting the next longer clutch cable on my 12 sg. I painted my entire fairing and bars and labor for way less than that

Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Charlie K
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a 2014 Limited, and you mentioned that with 5000 miles your warranty is close to being up. I am getting the feeling that maybe your dealer is not explaining things correctly and seeing how much money they can squeeze out of you. 10 hours of labor again for less work does not seem right. Also, your motorcycle comes with a 2 year,unlimited mile warranty given upon purchase. The mileage should be of no concern for warranty purposes.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Lobo45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 Hours of labor is the norm, even when you have to replace cables. They are taking you for a ride. Look for an other stealership.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Worse than the price they want to charge now is the fact that you didn't need to replace the cables the first time...We just did WO 12.5s on a buddy and all we had to do was extend the wires. It was REAL easy...Find another dealer or an honest indy...Stay way away from the first one. They are crooks...You also have a warranty that gives you two years and unlimited miles...Again, GET WAY AWAY FROM THAT CROOK OF A DEALER...
Asked a dealer further away from me how long to put on handlebars, he said worst case scenario, 9 hours, which is one hour less than my dealer, but guess what, my dealer charges $80 an hour, new guy charges $89 an hour, so it comes out to the same, $800. Found two indies in my area that I am going to try to see tomorrow, or perhaps right after the New Year and see what they have to say, my nephew says he heard good things about them though he hasn't used them, and doesn't know how fast they work. I did stop by one shop on Friday, but the guy had just left. A sign inside the shop stated that he charged $80 an hour, but used actual "clock time". I am assuming this means he charges for actual time elapsed, and does not go by a chart that states the length of a job even if it takes less than that to do it.
The problem I'm having now is I just don't know what bars to buy. I measured the distance from just in front of where the bars are mounted, to the point where it intersects with the distance between the two grips, and came up with 13.25". Don't know what to get that will give me a better pullback than that, although, it seems that pullback numbers are all over the place, for example HD says my reduced reach bars have a pullback of 7.5", and I come up with 13.25", so I don't know what these numbers really mean, or how to judge how a handlebar is actually going to feel by just reading about it.

Quick Reply: Switching from reduced reach bars to 10" chubby wild ones, '14 limited