Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from reduced reach bars to 10" chubby wild ones, '14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
Just my 2 cents.
Go to your dealer. Sounds like you spend a little time there anyway. Watch the bikes that come into the parking lot. When you see a bike that has bars that you think is about right, Talk to the guy about his bars. Most guys that have done this to their bike will always talk to you and after you explain to him you are looking to do this to your bike, Most will offer to let you set on their bike and feel them. Of course, I'm in the South and we are very good about this kind of thing. Can't imagine that Northerners are much different. HA HA!! Seriously. That will at the least give you a feel of what you might want. It may answer some of your fitment questions.
Adding a pic so you can see how far back the Reduced Reach Grips on my bike are. Looking at pics of the WO578's on other bikes, they don't seem to come back that far, of course it's hard to tell from random photos, but I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the 578's and mine, apart from rise and width of course.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

[IMG][/IMG]one more photo

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

And you want bars that pull back further then the ones in the picture??

I would suggest getting your seat modded by Mean Street Cycles so that it pushes you forward an inch. That plus those bars you have on there now should give you the reach you want. How short are you arms anyway??

Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed 578's on my 14 SGS it was the first time I ever did bars and had A lot of help from the people on the forum but all in all it was easier than I ever imagined it would be and the entire install from start to finish by a 1st timer was under 5hrs. And yes you need a service manual and tools.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
And you want bars that pull back further then the ones in the picture??

I would suggest getting your seat modded by Mean Street Cycles so that it pushes you forward an inch. That plus those bars you have on there now should give you the reach you want. How short are you arms anyway??
My arms were long enough when I had a Hammock seat and reduced reach bars on my '10 Limited. I don't want to move up, I want to move back!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
My arms were long enough when I had a Hammock seat and reduced reach bars on my '10 Limited. I don't want to move up, I want to move back!
Here's a photo of my '10 Limited with Reduced Reach Bars, different angle, but you can still get an idea of how the bars fit compared to my '14. The seat is the replacement "LOW" that HD came out with shortly after the bike was released. I bought it to try it out, was only $125, but I didn't like it, too far forward. If the seat on the '14 is not the same, it might as well be. [/URL][/IMG]hortly after photo was taken I switched to the Hammock, moved back and the bars felt great. Maybe now you can see why I am so puzzled about why the bars are still too far forward on my new bike, I just don't get it, same seat, same bars, different result, isn't that the definition of insanity?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Maybe this is a better photo.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I would suggest 12" apes then. They would give you more pull back and a better hand/wrist position. I had the HD Reduced Reach Bars on mine and they were better then stock as far as pull back but the wrist angle was bad. I got used to it but since going with the Twin Peak Bars, it's like night & day difference in comfort.