Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

labor hours to change bars and cables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
YAREMASI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default labor hours to change bars and cables?

My dealer told me that it will take 6-8 hours to change the bars and cables (not brake lines)on my street glide. Does that sound about right? Would like to get khromeworks bars and cables done...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
HDADDING
Intermediate
Default RE: labor hours to change bars and cables?

I just checked into this as well and I was told 6 hours. I doubt if it really takes them that long, but that seems to be the norm when dealing with the dealerships.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

at how much $/hr?...no thanks, get a manual and do them yourself...it's really not that hard, i did it and i'm not that much of a wrench...i forget the links but search around, there are plenty with instructions

Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
HDADDING
Intermediate

That would be $70 - $80 bucks and hour depending upon the dealership.

I have a service manual that should be arrriving any day now so I'll definately be doing my research before I decide whether or not it's a job that I think I can handle. My only concern right now is how much the fairing and everything underneath complicates the installation. Just recently got the bike and haven't had to pull the fairing off for anything yet so I'm not sure what's waiting for me down there.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to buy the Oil Temp gauge for my fairing, and the dealership told me 4 hours labor. I decided not to get the gauge.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
RoadKing06
Advanced

Did a buddies Road King Classic recently. He went to the Wild 1 Chubbies 508's. I disassembled and re-assembled running electrical thru the bars and re-installing detachable faring, it took about a full Saturday to complete (taking my time). I've done it a few times but always take my time to during the wiring portion, this avoids any shorts once the wires are in the bars. Its not that bad to do. Rated on 1 to 10 maybe a 4-5.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
mllkn6
Tourer

I'm doing it right now, it's not hard, get the manual and take your time. Take a few pictures, have a beer, and learn about the bike. I've got 3 hours in it now, removed the inner fairing while I was at it to paint it, handlebars mounted, new heated grips installed, Throttle/idle cables off, clutch cable off and back in. Will get back on it as soon as the clutch/idle cable comes in which was suppose to be Monday according to my stealer, now in yet. Painting inner fairing Saturday if it's not raining. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
DanM
Advanced

I did mine in 2 evenings. There is a lot of info in this forum that will help you out. I went with 36" buffalo bars, so I didn't need to do the front brake line of throttle cables. I did internally wire everything though. Once you disconnect the wire ends in the light, the bummer is the connectors are way to large to fit through the bars, so you need to disconnect or cut every wire. I chose the cut them 3 inches back from the connector and splice them back. This way, you just match the colors, seal them good, and plug them back in. If you need exteneded wires, there are several companies that sell them, even color coded.

BTW, my dealer here is San Diego wanted 6 hours labor.$480. I found a local non Harley Dealer shop advertising $250 labor for install. Called Motorcycle Stop in Escondido, Ca. My friends bike is there right now getting the install. They said that the local Harley Labor rates are keeping them in business. My friend is also getting chrome front end installed for $450. The dealer wanted $800 installed.

Might try some of the local Chopper shops. Most of these guys are ex-Harley mechanics. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/51089/86AD64FFA57E436390288571BA1237A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I'm no certified bike mechanic but I am a certified mechanic and I can change a set of bars including doing internal wiring in 3 to 4 hours depending on the bike. The dealers must think that working on a Harley requires a mechanical engineering degree.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My local HD dealer can actually look you in the eyes and tell you $600 for the install as if it were a deal!

Quick Reply: labor hours to change bars and cables?