Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a mustang or corbin classic solo seat - feedback needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a mustang or corbin classic solo seat - feedback needed

Hey guys,
Looking for feedback on these two solo seats for my '14 Roadking. Particularly wanting to know about comfort and how the riding position is compared to stock...

The Danny Gray and C&C seats would drop me down too low and too far back... so I'm hoping the corbin or mustang will sit me up a little higher and a little closer to the bars either (I have short arms).

I'm particularly interested in the corbin because I prefer the look. But this will be my second seat in 3 months so really looking to get it right this time

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by slimjim1976; 01-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Rider1973
Advanced
Default Corbin Classic Solo

I ran with a Corbin Classic solo on my 05 Road King for nine years until I just traded it in on a 2014 SGS. When I traded in my Road King in November I kept the Corbin hoping that it would fit on my new bike. No can do. I put over 30K miles on that seat including many 300 plus mile days and loved it!

Yes, it will seem hard at first and yes, it could take up to 2,000 miles to break in but it is well worth it...then again much like any other accessory i.e. Pipes and there sounds it is a matter of personal opinion. I road my new 2014 SGS for 700 miles before winter shut me down but I did manage a 300 mile day. Knew right away I would need better seat.

My new Corbin Classic solo is on order and due to some custom features I added (at no extra cost all included) I should see it in about 5 weeks, plenty of time for my riding season to begin. Though some have complained about Corbin Customer service I received nothing but the best advice and service.

Good luck!
Rider1973

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Hey guys,
Looking for feedback on these two solo seats for my '14 Roadking. Particularly wanting to know about comfort and how the riding position is compared to stock...

The Danny Gray speed cradle and C&C seats would drop me down too low, so I'm hoping the corbin or mustang will sit me up a little higher. I don't mind if it pushes me a little closer to the bars either (I have short arms).

This will be my second seat in 3 months so really looking to get it right this time

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I rode with a Corbin on my last bike. It was a 2-up but I can comment on the comfort/hardness factor. It's like sitting on concrete at first but then YOU get used to IT and it's awesome. I would add a sheepskin on long (600 mile days) rides and could do several days in a row like that with the Corbin.

As far as needing to be a bit closer, they have a close solo option. That might work for you. I'm going through the same decision making process right now and the ONLY reason I might not get a Corbin this time around is that if you want a backrest with the seat there is no forward/rearward adjustment.

C&C also has a close solo. I'm leaning towards them because I've heard their backrests have a bit of forward/rearward adjustment but I have to verify it.

Mustang backrests are really adjustable but as I recall, their seats on a Harley move you back a bit. Check with them to make sure.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Not knowing your location it's best to go to the corbin store and have them custom fit it for you at no extra charge. The seat is hard and worth every penny. My Mustang seat is tall and super cushy but not nearly as comfortable as my rock hard Corbin. Go figure.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I put a Mustang solo seat on my 07 RK Custom. It came with a back rest too, it looked
cool on the bike. I never got use to the backrest, so I would ride without the backrest a
lot of the time. I treaded in the 07 RK on a 2014 SG and still have the seat, I would sell
that seat for $270.oo

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
chuckie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
I rode with a Corbin on my last bike. It was a 2-up but I can comment on the comfort/hardness factor. It's like sitting on concrete at first but then YOU get used to IT and it's awesome. I would add a sheepskin on long (600 mile days) rides and could do several days in a row like that with the Corbin.

As far as needing to be a bit closer, they have a close solo option. That might work for you. I'm going through the same decision making process right now and the ONLY reason I might not get a Corbin this time around is that if you want a backrest with the seat there is no forward/rearward adjustment.

C&C also has a close solo. I'm leaning towards them because I've heard their backrests have a bit of forward/rearward adjustment but I have to verify it.

Mustang backrests are really adjustable but as I recall, their seats on a Harley move you back a bit. Check with them to make sure.
I ride with Corbin and it feels hard when you first sit on it,for the long haul it is very comfortable.My backrest adjusts forward and backward,not sure why other solos dont do the same.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a Corbin on my Heritage and loved it. It was lower and hard as a brick but, a very good seat. I had a Mustang solo on my Valkyrie and wasn't crazy about it. It was a hard seat but the seating position just never felt like it was truly designed for humans.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,100 Likes on 8,494 Posts

I tried the Mustang Solo on my 06RG but apparently the Mustang folks don't really know what the OEM seat measurements are. When I bought mine, I told the sales person I wanted a seat that would sit me lower and back. They sent the seat to match what I wanted but the seat put me higher and closer to the tank. I did an overlay picture of the stock seat and the Mustang seat. You can see the rise on the back of the seat is closer to the tank than the rise of the stock seat.

I bought a Corbin seat and it does sit be back like I wanted it to. As the previous posts state, the seat is harder than stock but ya get used to it. I use a bead rider cover on it for long trips and sometimes put a hand towel under the bead rider which makes the seat great for the Iron Butt rides. I've had my Corbin on the bike now for about 4 years. It shows no sign of wear and it has a locking feature so it doesn't get stolen.

Last edited by EasternSP; 01-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My hubby just bought me a Corbin Close Solo for Christmas. We went to Corbin in Daytona and had it measured for me on the bike. They suggested I move it even an inch closer but I wanted leg room, so we split the difference at a half-inch closer. They also suggested a "nose job" to narrow the front portion, getting my feet down on the ground. (I'm 5'7".)

Even better you can see the "skin" options in person if you don't want plain leather. I am rather practical, and I could never have envisioned the seat I ended up ordering on the internet as the website is not interactive. But when I was there, another customer's bike was on the floor ready to be picked up by its owner. Black snake seat, black welts and sideband, two up touring on a Yamaha whatever-their-top-of-the-line tourer is. The seat, pillions and backrests were GORGEOUS. So, that's what I ordered. Black snake, and black everything else.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG??? The first day I rode 300 plus miles and was never uncomfortable. We bopped over to Fort Myers, had lunch and came back. Since then, I cannot stay off my bike. This seat is not as hard as the first one I ordered for my Suzuki long ago, nor is it as hard as the one on my hubby's Road King. So I think they are doing the foam a little differently now.

Not only does the seat hold me in my bike all day long, it is damn good looking. The black "snake" is dark, but not too flashy. Plus, I don't know how they do it, but it "looks" balanced front to back. It doesn't look like a seat that is crammed closer to the front with a ton of material behind me. It has nice lines.

If you do order the Corbin and don't want the white logo on the side, you can order it stitched in black--that's the only thing I didn't know that I wish I would have changed. But it is not a buzz-kill, b/c overall the seat looks GREAT and more importantly, is COMFORTABLE all day long.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
McFrosty
Cruiser

I'm running a Mustang Wide Tripper Diamond stitch solo on my SG. Can't compare it to anything other than the stock seat, but I absolutely love it.
Looks great on my bike & I can ride all day in comfort. I ride all week long with the solo seat & on the weekends, when the GF wants to come along for a ride, it's about only a few seconds to throw on the matching pillion, GF likes the pillion seat much better than the stock seat.
I know seats are a personal thing- but I can highly recommend the Mustang form my experience.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a mustang or corbin classic solo seat - feedback needed