Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with a Herniated Disk ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Riding with a Herniated Disk ?

I fell Christmas day and developed what I thought was a severe case of sciatica. Had an MRI last week and just found out I have a herniated disk between L4 and L5 pressing the sciatic nerve. The pain is now at a very low level I'm doing some physical therapy. Any of you guys ride with this condition? On the softail there would be certain bumps in the road that would really jar my spine I don't have enough miles on the SG to know how it handles those pot holes but I'm hoping it will not be as harsh.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I've had 2 back surgeries in the last 20yrs and it still bothers me everyday. As long as I ride with a backrest I have no problems even on long rides. Key is getting pressure right in shocks, backrest, changing foot position every so often and stopping to stretch about every 100 miles or so. Works for me.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fell Dec 5, and had very bad pain down my right leg. A week after seeing my Primary Doctor, he suggested that I go see a Orthopedic Doc. They sent me for MRI & Xray's. Called the next day and said I needed surgery, I had a ruptured disk L3-L4. Got a second opinion from a Neurosurgeon and had the surgery Jan 3 with him. I'm in no more pain but right leg is still weak and tender. My wife asked the Doc when I could ride my Harley again during the follow up visit last week, she was hoping he would say sell it but he said no riding for at least 3 months. That is fine with me because its too darn cold out for me to ride anyway.

Best of luck with your back.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 6 herniated disks in my neck, my neurologist isn't happy that I still ride...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Physical therapy is the best thing you can do. I got injections in my disk and that was only a temporary fix. The PT is what finally helped. Surgery should be a last resort and may be temporary too.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Physical therapy is the best thing you can do. I got injections in my disk and that was only a temporary fix. The PT is what finally helped. Surgery should be a last resort and may be temporary too.
Im doing PT everything I have read about this said there is a very good chance of complete recovery without surgery. I have heard alot of horror stories about back surgery but fortunatly living near New York City I have access to some of the best Dr's in the world.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
Im doing PT everything I have read about this said there is a very good chance of complete recovery without surgery. I have heard alot of horror stories about back surgery but fortunatly living near New York City I have access to some of the best Dr's in the world.
I have the same herniated disk at L4 L5. I've gone through it all and stopped before surgery. As long as I stick with the stretches every morning, I do them in the shower. I'm all set. I will have a spasm probably once a year that puts me on my back for a few days. Nothing some painkillers cant handle. Keep on riding....... I think riding actually helps with keeping things "loose". Good luck

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try a thermacare heatwrap when you ride. that heat on the lower back feels good and helps keep things from tightening up.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I have four herniated disks, three of them are ripped. Bad parachute accident from back in 2005, mine haven't gotten any better and I finally had to Medically retire from the Army. Getting the bike to were I can ride comfortable was a long process.
The bars to get me to sit strait, the rider back rest, Better front and rear shocks (Harley premium adjustable lowered and monotubes), Hammock seat and the 1" floor board extensions. I also have a hand full of meds that I take three times a day (non-narcotic)and get the cortisone shots and the radio frequency shots.
Physical therapy made mine worse, befor it was my back and neck and after Physical therapy my legs now go numb at times. Also the Army issued me a home traction machine and a tens unit.
For me riding the bike helps my back feel better, maybe the vibration? But I can't ride a stock bike comfortably at all. I'm currently 100% T/P disabled from the VA at 41 yrs old, and would give it all back to not have to live with this pain! I just make the best of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
I had L3/L4 and L4/L5 rupture at about the same time. After a week I couldn't walk. Had double discectomy done (removed about 85% of the discs) 6 years ago in April and haven't looked back since. Immediate pain relief and done outpatient. Surgery was at 9am and I walked out of there at 2pm. Had to stay off the bike about 10 weeks post op which is tough during the spring time. I still have a little numbness in my right foot from the nerve damage but nothing that stops daily life.

Hopefully you will get a good resolution with PT, but the surgery isn't bad at all unless they say "fusion"...

Quick Reply: Riding with a Herniated Disk ?