Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would'yeh put a car tire on a bike??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why would'yeh put a car tire on a bike??

I just want to know.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,973 Likes on 3,046 Posts

It must be a look, because I can only see it ruining handling it a turn.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Google Darkside and see the testimonials. I didn't do it but I know someone who did. He got 60K miles on a rear tire.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:56 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Lots of reasons

If you've never tried it, you can give all kinds of reasons why you shouldn't do it.

If you get the right tire with the right air pressure, you'll never go back to a motorcycle tire though.

Much smoother, last longer, better traction.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see it from a mileage standpoint, being total miles you get from one, but the MoCo changed the tires on the 09 and newer so I for 1 am a happy camper as is on an OEM tire.
Much of it just comes down to personal preference and as we all know to each their own.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Because its my bike and I'm the one paying for it. It's kinda like voting, if you don't vote, you can't complain about who won the ballet. If you've never run a CT on your bike, every thing you say is hear say, or just your opinion. Not trying to be a smart ***, just saying don't knock it till you try it.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

No one should ever use a car tire on their Harley because they spontaneously burst into flames, their wives will leave them (is that a bad thing?) and all their children will be born cross eyed.

I know because it happened to me!

Oh, wait a minute, none of that stuff happened. Actually I have never heard / read about single catastrophic dark side failure and no Dark Side Nay Sayer has showed me one....

What did happen was this;

My bike rides notably better, so much so that first time I rode with the wife on the car tire she commented how smoothly the bike rode.

It handles absolutely great in the rain! The wet weather handling is so good it actually builds your confidence for riding in the rain.

In emergency braking situations that huge contact brake stops the bike right now. It is an amazing feeling.

Tar strips and grated roads (that thing they do before they resurface) no longer discomfort the bike in any way.

I can't tell you how long it last, ask me again in a couple years.

The car tire takes noticeably more muscle / steering input at parking lot speeds.

After 1 season on my G-Max 205-55-16 tire I never expect to switch back to a motorcycle tire.

Here is a link to my dark side review,
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...ng-review.html

I have treated this subject as if the OP was asking an honest question in this thread. What I expect to see happen now is a bunch of ill informed idiots who have never actually ridden a bike with a car tire will now tell me why it won't work (even though I am living proof that it does). Why my bike and I have spontaneously combusted due using a car tire (even though we did not). Why my wife left me because I have a car tire on the back of bike (She didn't) and how it's use made my kids cross eyed (Just checked, they are not).

Prove me wrong about the way you will react, I dare you!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 464 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
Because its my bike and I'm the one paying for it. It's kinda like voting, if you don't vote, you can't complain about who won the ballet. If you've never run a CT on your bike, every thing you say is hear say, or just your opinion. Not trying to be a smart ***, just saying don't knock it till you try it.
Pure genius right there! So, what's next? Putting motorcycle tires on a car? Apparantly tire manufacturers spend millions of dollars in R&D for no good reason. Just because something might work, doesn't make it right.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM
glide2005
Supporter

You can also Google up motorcycle crashes proven to be the cause of a CT, you'll find none. Remember folks, these are touring bikes, not crotch rockets. I take curves just as fast now as did with a MT. I just replaces my CT with another CT, after 30,000 safe uneventful miles on the last one. It's not for everyone, but the ones who have done it, have no complaints. If they did, then they didn't give it a fair shake.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
Pure genius right there! So, what's next? Putting motorcycle tires on a car? Apparantly tire manufacturers spend millions of dollars in R&D for no good reason. Just because something might work, doesn't make it right.
Well then if the Wright Brothers had not tried to fly that airplane, that everyone said wouldn't fly. We would all still be walking or riding horse back everywhere. And apparently your not old enough to have run CT's on your bike because that all you could get.

OH and thanks for the genius comment, I never thought of myself being one, so thanks.

You can also Google up MT on cars and you'll find that also.

Last edited by glide2005; 02-16-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Why would'yeh put a car tire on a bike??