Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture in Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moisture in Fuel Gauge

I noticed some moisture in the fule gauge yesterday as it was very humid out. I called The stealer and asked since it was under warranty could I stop by and pick a new one up. The answer was NO, HD says that we live in a humid climate and that its to be expected. Well I went off the deep end thinking that the dealer was jerking me around. I called the Motor Co and the service rep told me the same thing. Then i really lost it. I cant belive a bike costing this much would have simple problem like that and there is no solution. Anyone else having this problem? You guys out in the SW I dont want to hear about your dry heat.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM
FreedmRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moisture in Fuel Gauge

Yup this is a known issue. Happens when washing the bike as well. I got the same response from the dealer.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I live in the Midwest and I have the same problem. My mini tach does the samething. Even when I wash my bike it will get moister inside. It looks like crap. Other then that I wouldn't trade my HD for anyother bike.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:27 PM
tom1340
Novice

The fuel gauge takes on moisture, the speedos are off 7 to 10%, the ambient air gauge was never intended to work. Harley's instrument design group is still producing products to AMF quality standards and their management is indifferent. Apparently so are most of their customers. Go figure.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

i live in so fla. my fuel gauge gets moisture when i wash the bike and when it sits outside for long periods. i guess you get used to it. the stealer told me down here there is nothing you can do

Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tom1340
The fuel gauge takes on moisture, the speedos are off 7 to 10%, the ambient air gauge was never intended to work. Harley's instrument design group is still producing products to AMF quality standards and their management is indifferent. Apparently so are most of their customers. Go figure.
Holy Cow Tom, take some meds and work on draining all the oil out of your EVO!! My fuel gauge never takes on moisture!! Oh yeah, I don't have one, but my speedo is right on the money (DPS Trooper confirmed) and all my other instruments are doing fine...

Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 AM
KY HDRider
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

South central Kentucky here, my fuel gauge almost always has moisture from washing the bike, or sitting outside when I ride to work. I work nights. I'm at work now, when I go outside to ride home this morning, I fully expect the gauge to be so moist inside I won't be able to read it. My fuel gauge is the only gauge I have this problem with though. Why couldn't it have been the useless air temp gauge instead??

Later, Jerry

Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

My 04 Ultra is starting the play the moisture games and my neighbor's 03 Ultra does the same thing. I wish Harley would own up to the fact that they have a piece of crap for a fuel gage in these $20,000 motorcycles and should spend the extra money to fix the problem...and not make us just live with it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/6C0C87F0F7EF4E399B914BB10A2F8D89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain

Mine gets moisture from time to time when I wash it. It goes away rather quickly and so I don't allow it to bother me.

My speedo is right on the money so I am happy...

Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get water in your fuel gage?? not to worry, it probably isn't accurate anyway, mine isn't just set the odemonter back to 0 and fuel up at 150 miles, put black tape on the gage so you can't see it, no biggie..cover it with a chrome do-dad or something..

Quick Reply: Moisture in Fuel Gauge