Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Pipe selection

I know some of this has been discussed before and I'm not looking for specific recommendations (found pages of those in other threads) but I could use some general info.

I have a '13 SG with a stock (for now) 103, stock AC and ECM, and Rush slip-ons. I want to go with true duals as part of my late winter mods. Will probably be going for a new AC and TMax as part of this upgrade, but my damn head is swimming with all of the options out there.

Need opinions of what to look for and what to avoid when shopping pipes. I'd like to keep my existing slip-ons, but the head pipe choices are crazy. What are your thoughts on ceramic coated pipes, straight vs kinked, pipes that cross under the frame, etc? Will just about any set work as well as another? Or am I overthinking this?

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Yup, overthinking! I never paid attention to ceramic or kinked or anything like that, but there IS one thing that I found once, that I didn't like. I had some Rinehart True Duals put on once, and they came out of the rear jug & right down to the left side. Too hot & didn't like it. I prefer going under the frame. I have Vance & Hines Power Duals on mine, and like 'em.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the S&S Power Tune Duals and like them. I like that they go under the bike, less heat on my left thigh. Ceramic will make a small difference in heat. I had some Drago ceramic true duals but the rear pipe still baked my left thigh.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM
bufalo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Yup, overthinking! I never paid attention to ceramic or kinked or anything like that, but there IS one thing that I found once, that I didn't like. I had some Rinehart True Duals put on once, and they came out of the rear jug & right down to the left side. Too hot & didn't like it. I prefer going under the frame. I have Vance & Hines Power Duals on mine, and like 'em.
+1 on the V&H Power Duals. I am very happy with em.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

So the ceramic coating reduces heat but not enough to ignore the rear pipe routing? Good info, thanks. I hate getting baked (by the bike) when traffic clogs up.

Appreciate the input.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If your happy with your Rush mufflers check out there HO ceramic coated pipe.

http://www.rushracingproducts.com/highoutput.html

I did my share of research and now I'm waiting for my HO pipe and Big Louie mufflers to be delivered.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 PM
rwb1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the S&S Powertune Duals....great pipe, paired with the S&S stealth air cleaner... Decent gains with and upgrade your gonna do anyway...

Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not stuck on duals, or true duals, but still want enhanced performance, then you may want to consider the X-pipe option. Fuel Moto and Fullsac are popular options - and they work with your stock heat shields.

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 03-24-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,431 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
If you're not stuck on duals, or true duals, but still want enhanced performance, then you may want to consider the X-pipe option. Fuel Moto and Fullsac are popular options - and they work with your stock heat shields.
I agree - I had to have an x-pipe - the performance gains for real-world riding are well known, both on bikes and cars.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:19 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I read about the performance gains, but I just can't warm up to the 'lopsided' look on a bagger. As much as I hate to say it, I'll sacrifice a bit of performance to get the right look and sound.

Quick Reply: Pipe selection